Quote Originally Posted by [AK]The Beast View Post
PC games aren't dead, but they are being relegated to a niche market. Can you imagine playing WoW on a console? Same goes for strategy games. Civ 4 or Company of Heroes just doesn't work with an XBox 360 controller. And just ask Hylander what he thinks of sim racing games for the console. That opinion is shared by flight sim enthusiasts, too.

Of course, I can't really imagine playing a shooter on a console, but more and more that's where they're coming out (at least first, if not exclusively). Sports games rule on consoles, though.
Exactly right. How often are consoles released with updated hardware? Once every 3 to 5 years? How advanced do you think Graphics would be if the PC platform had no games on it? Do you think AMD/ATI or NVIDIA would be pushing forward with more powerful and better equipment regularly when there is no platform to sell their hardware on?

In terms of Sims (racing, flight, etc.) the biggest draw back is there is no modding community possible for the console. Just go take a look at rfactor central and look at the hundreds of mods available for rfactor, or look at the hundreds upon hundreds of community created tracks and vehicle add-ons. The same holds true for air and rail sims. It's just not possible on a console. Until the console stores it's games on a HD, and there is a traditional OS that allows modders to tinker with it... the consoles will be limited to FPS and sports games for the most part. Modding is a huge part of gaming these days. I won't even get into the controller aspect and communication limitations. I wouldn't even want to think about trying to play Civ IV or something like WoW without a keyboard and mouse.