Thread: press 1 for english?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Narend View Post
    i live in america... go figure!@
    Phone Reps actually speak English?

Beaker I understand being courteous to visitors, but like squid said, being courteous and rolling over is two VERY different things. Take Memphis for example. Over the past 10 years we've had a major influx of Spanish speaking folk, 99% of which are illegal, not dining on vacation. Most signs these days are in Spanish an English, and Half of the employees at places like fast food restaurants and department stores I can't even interact with because of the language barrier. Were talking about 2 very different subjects.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    My grandparents and great-grandparents on both sides of my family were immigrants from Poland. Upon arriving in America they spoke no English. Did they demand or assume that their new country would start providing Polish food labels? Did they expect when making a phone call to hear Polish on the other end of the phone? Did they expect Polish street signs and Polish spoken at government facilities like the Post Office and DMV?

The answer was NO - they did not. What they did do was learn English and demand that their own children learn English as well.

Somewhere we have lost that. I blame our continued dependence on the government. We've lost our self sufficiency and rather than pulling ones self up by our own bootstraps we are more likely to reach out our hand and demand "what is coming to us". America has become the spoiled brat child pitching a fit and demanding more candy.

We all need a good slap on the ass.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.