Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Anyone?

Pizza Anyone?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...NEWS/804190326

Guess they go on the list with K-mart......Saddens me

I disagree. he violated company policy:

Pizza Hut officials made it clear after the incident that employees are not allowed to carry guns. Fuller said Friday the policy is in line with the food delivery industry and will not be altered.

He stated that he knew the policy existed. You violate company policy you run the risk of termination. Period. They offered him severance and counseling. They didn't need to.

What's the problem here?

His interview is suspicious too. He followed the guy following the robbery and confronted him. "I did have a second encounter with him". Then he freaked, "I just lashed out, I couldn't stand that gun pointed at my head any longer. I just lashed out."
    Last edited by [AK]Nuts; 04-22-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Yeah, he went looking for the robber after the fact. Way over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly View Post
    Agreed

I think he just wanted a reason to use his gun.

I don't know if that was the plan or not but there was a second encounter. Be it him looking for the robber or the robber coming back for more. Either way, lashing out or not, a gun to the head would cause ANY person to "freak"

As far as breaking company policy, No doubt I agree 150%. Company policy is company policy. Its the policy I don't have to agree with. As with stores like K-mart, Their policy is no firearms on the property PERIOD. Thats their choice, and its my choice to go to Walmart instead.

Ever delivered Pizza after dark in a major city? Randomly knocked on strangers doors in a not so great neighborhood? You can beat your ass if I had too my gun would be on my hip as well!

I use to deliver pizza for pizza hut in a fairly big town. I have been robbed while delivering a pizza before. They tell us that if anyone threatens you or tries to take your money from tips from the night to just let them have the money and pizza and pretend nothing happened.

I delivered to a house in a neighborhood that had hardly any lighting, the house was in bad shape, cars were rusted, and it just didn't feel right or safe. Knocked on the door and some guy opens the door. He asked for the pizza before paying up, which I said sorry we need the money before you get the food, he then said how about you give me the food, and I wont get your shirt messed up. gave it to him, he shut the door and I walked to my car. Called work, told them, called police they came out and forced him to pay up. Then we banned his address from all future pizza deliveries.

I doubt the guy was serious but no point in taking a risk.

Back on topic~

If someone pointed a gun to your head and then let you go, first thing I would do is call the police, have them deal with the guy, don't take it into your own hands. Get out of there don't wait around and call the police.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

It's pretty clear that this guy went after the robber, with the intent of starting something. He's lucky he's not in jail, frankly.

It's pretty clear that this guy went after the robber, with the intent of starting something. He's lucky he's not in jail, frankly.

Start something, or finish something. Either way I think he should get some kind of trouble besides loosing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic View Post
    If someone pointed a gun to your head and then let you go, first thing I would do is call the police, have them deal with the guy, don't take it into your own hands. Get out of there don't wait around and call the police.
    Agreed.....His first mistake was not sending the robber to the morgue the first time he put the gun to his head. I don't agree with taking the law into you own hands after the fact. Once the robber left he was no longer in fear of his life and had no right to use deadly force. It surprises me as well that he walked after shooting the guy.

My only point was that I disagreed with PH's policy, right or wrong. As a permit holder if I follow the rules, I should be able to have my pistol on me anywhere I go. Potential threats don't follow the rules. If I shopped at K-mart but had to leave my gun in the car and got robbed and killed in the parking lot on the way back to the car what good did it do me? Likewise if I was looking for an easy score, I would certainly target employees like this that I knew couldn't fight back.

Hopefully next time this guy decides to rob a delivery driver he'll think twice.
    Policy or not, he'll always wonder...."So what if this guy is armed too"

It's one thing to have a gun and keep it in your car, but your delivering pizza's to 99.9% of the time to familys or people who just want food, I don't think I would be safe if I answered the door payed the pizza driver and as he walked away, saw a gun strapped to his pants or tucked into his pants. who's to say he's not impersonating a pizza driver or if you didn't tip him enough if he will get upset.

So many things could go wrong with a driver carrying a weapon. I could see having one with you on your way from the building you work in to your car, but I don't see why you would need to carry one while delivering pizza's.

I don't see why you would need to carry one while delivering pizza's.
    See above ....... Man got robbed at gun point while delivering Pizza's

Once I committed to carrying a concealed weapon I committed to carrying it EVERYWHERE possible. 99.9% of the people I come in contact with on a daily basis mean me no harm and if made aware that I had a weapon would probably be uncomfortable. We're not talking about running around town like Clint Eastwood with guns blazing, were talking about a concealed weapon, for MY safety.

What good would a gun in your car do you unless criminals struck only while you were driving? I guess I just find it a little pointless to get a permit and a pistol if your not going to carry it. All it takes is 1 time and without knowing the exact moment in your life your going to get robbed and killed whats the use?

You make the same valid argument as the Texas Lawmaker whose parents were murdered in a restaurant while the three of them were eating. A gunman came in and just starting shooting. Her gun was safely stored in her glovebox.

And while there should never be a law that restricts or prohibits your right to defend your life, there is nothing wrong with employer restricted your rights while under their employment. Just as Disk Jockey's clamor about Free Speech, this is not an action taken by the government against you; this is you volunteering to retard your rights in order to gain employment with a specific company.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I support the guy's right to carry a gun. He should be able to carry it in accordance with the law.

I also support the employer's right to forbid carrying a gun.

Strange as it might sound, the two positions are not contradictory. He should be able to carry a gun, and an employer should be able to dictate acceptable on-the-job behavior for continued employment.

Then it's up to the gun owner to decide his course of action (quit, or comply.)

Working as a pizza driver for 2 years, if your delivering a pizza, both your hands are busy holding the pizza and anything else they might need. you get a gun drawn and asked to give the person your money, when and how would you grab your gun without making the person holding one to your head not see you drop the pizza box or move your off hand to the gun. It still wouldn't do you any good if you just arrived to the house and had the gun drawn.

Clearly he at some point put the pizza's down grabbed his gun and went to find the guy. which is why I don't think pizza drivers need their guns with them. He knowingly went and found the guy that robbed him and made a point to shoot him 3 times, not once for defense but he fired 3 shots as to make a point to the guy.

I am for the right to carry arms, but sometimes there has to be exceptions to that.

Working as a pizza driver for 2 years, if your delivering a pizza, both your hands are busy holding the pizza and anything else they might need. you get a gun drawn and asked to give the person your money, when and how would you grab your gun without making the person holding one to your head not see you drop the pizza box or move your off hand to the gun. It still wouldn't do you any good if you just arrived to the house and had the gun drawn.
    O.k. I'll play..... I guess when I'm carrying the groceries to the car in both hands, or maybe carryout and a coke, I too don't need my gun? You may see me drop my groceries, or my carry out or hell my pizza box for that matter but by the time it registers in your brain what I'm doing your ass is gonna be grass. They train for such encounters. If every robbery or rape or murder was by the book we would have both hands free, Both feet firmly planted on the ground and appropriately spaced for maximum accuracy. Lets face it, thats not the way it goes EVER.

I support PH's right to set their rules, as I do for individual restaurants that won't allow me to smoke. But likewise I can choose not to visit and spend my money in said places.