Thread: EVE Online

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

EVE Online

Anyone ever tried this space MMORPG? There is a 21-day trial available on Steam ... I've been running it for the past few days. The game is HUGE, and extremely complex. Graphics are nice. Only downside is that it is all ship-based, but supposedly you will be able to leave your ship in a coming patch.

This game is very similar to an MMORPG version of Privateer, or Freelancer, or Elite (for you really old fogies like me). I really liked Elite back in the '80s :-).
    [AK]Abaddon

Freelancer was a favorite of mine.

My co-workers all play EVE. They have been trying to get me to play for the past year with them. I have looked into it, it's not a bad game if you like ships. Its kinda like wow in a sense that you can do different professions like mining, and you have zones where if you attack others the NPC's come and kill you.

From what they told me everyone plays on the same server. So instead of 10000 servers there is 1 and everyone plays there making it kinda cool. I don't like my co-workers enough to play this, plus i'm addicted to wow.

But overall I heard it was a pretty cool game.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    I also have a co-worker who plays this. It's a pretty unforgiving game from what I hear. If you get attacked by pirates they can steal your ship and your loot. Kind of like the way Ultima Online used to be. Anything on you is theirs.

This would be equivalent to getting ganked in WoW and having the ganker be able to loot all your bags, armor and weapons.

Still I hear it's a good game if you like sci-fi space combat and empire building.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

I played this game for about a month. The problem I had was getting jumped by other players when you are minding your own business. I was rather junior and just doing some mining when a bunch of players formed a guild, sat at the jump gate and wouldn't let anyone leave the system. If you tried, they killed you and took everything. So basically for two days I couldn't do anything. Other players killed that game for me.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    I played it for a while. It's huge and immersive, but it's impossible to get anything accomplished without a bunch of people to help you out. Also, there is a lot of tedious travel involved in the game. Think of it as griffin rides between vast star systems.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

I think they may have fixed some of these issues ... I have not been ganked yet, and am about to buy a destroyer-class ship :-).

Beautiful graphics in this game ... the only thing that would make it better would be dogfighting, instead of click and target combat.
    [AK]Abaddon