Here's a thread I just started over at TW. I thought some of you might find it interesting, so I've mirrored it over here.

Just a little theory my wife and I were discussing. I figured this was the only safe place to bring it up without being labeled some kind of insensitive-to-the-plight-of-the-less-fortunate prick or something.

So, basically, we've become of the opinion that because we go out of our way to make sure that people with disabilities and mental/physical ailments are encouraged to (a) survive and (b) procreate. The very nature of natural selection dictates that the weaker will (a) not survive and (b) be a less attractive mate, less likely to procreate. So, if the less intelligent, less attractive, less healthy, and less capable member of our society are not just allowed, but encouraged to keep their "bad" DNA in the gene pool, are we not doing a disservice to the process of evolution within the human race?

In many other countries, this is not the case. If Ahab the Saharan Bedouin is unable to walk without the aid of a wheelchair, no one in his tribe of wanderers is going to express the least bit of sympathy because he can't get his own water, or scrounge up his own food. Therefore, Ahab is selected out. If Chang, the mongolian is born without the physical capacity to be an effective herdsman or hunter, he starves to death, therefore selected out. If Koobma the Kenyan is not intelligent enough to avoid the many trappings of the Serengeti, he gets eaten by a lion, therefore selected out. So, in conclusion, it seems we are setting ourselves up to become vastly inferior (albeit in the course of several thousand years) to the peoples of different countries/regions of the world. Is this a good thing? Does Darwin's eugenics movement need to be revisited?

Disclaimer: This is for the sake of discussion only. In no way am I encouraging anyone to go out and become Darwin's enforcer or anything. Additionally, I would like to point out that I am not encouraging biggotry towards the disabled of this country, or any other.