Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World in Conflict

World in Conflict

I recently checked out the demo after hearing it being praised pretty heavily while I was at PAX, and I've got to say.. It's well deserved.

It's an RTS game set around 1989 where you, at least in the demo, control US troops against a Soviet invasion. This is quite possibly the first RTS game I've played where I was really feeling pressured while responding to the AI. (I did skip CoH so I can't directly compare it to that game, as I'm kinda done with WWII games for now.)

http://www.worldinconflict.com/ Download available from this link -- Highly recommend checking it out.
    Last edited by Katanas Blade; 09-24-2007 at 06:43 PM.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I pre-ordered already after playing the beta.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I played the beta. The game kicks ass.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    Interesting! I'll have to grab the demo.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    A solid, and fun demo. I'm looking forward to the retail release.

Just a note: WiC is being released this Tuesday. I'm really likeing what I've seen of team-play; with each person on a team taking one branch (armor/helli's/infantry/support). Be nice to get some 4v4 or the like going.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

Delivered and being installed as I type!

So I've been playing the campaing mode for the last 5 or so hours. Best dang story line in a RTS game, me thinks.

If anyone else picks it up, we'll definitly have to get some team action going - I can't wait to grab the Apachies in an online game again.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Hey all, I setup the AK clan in WiC (and boy, was it obnoxiously easy to set up a clan in-game) so I can get my [AK] tags rockin.

http://www.massgate.net/profile.php?0,15101c - Clan profile. Also, special awards/medals can be achieved via clan matches.

If any other senior AK members jump into WiC I'll gladly pass over lead, but I wasnt sure if anyone else is going to get in on the multi- at this point.

http://www.massgate.net/profile.php?0,193293 - My profile.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

Downloaded the demo and thought it was awesome. Hopefully I will pick it up by the end of this weekend if possible.

So the multiplayer is really fun?

Oh yeah, it's a blast. It does take a little while to get used to being the most effective in a specific role, but once you do it's quite rewarding. Team-play is paramount as well. Knowing my choppers can retreat to a nearby heavy-AA support players position to wipe out those pesky Hinds equipped with Sidewinders makes keeping my units alive long enough to get enough tank kills to rank up my units. And when the enemy is bringing up their own heavy AAs to take me out having a competent artillery support player rain down hell on them has allowed us to push through now crumbling defenses that now just being held by infantry. Whereupon I call in a "Tactical-Aid" napalm strike to torch the forest they are hiding in. No more stinkin forest now! Tanks: advance!!

And every building can be flattened, tanks can push through fences and even smaller trees, the terrain gets deformed after a wave of artillery, a fuel air bomb, or, of course, the detonation of a tactical nuke.

Also, every game comes with a disk that contains a trial key for a 10 day pass to the full multi-player game. If you're on the fence, first d/l the demo and if you know anyone nearby that has the game, ask for the trial cd.

Edit: Oh yeah, another thing - if any of your friends and clan-mates are online playing WiC, that's indicated in your In-Game contacts list, allowing you to join up together in a group, so when one person finds a server with as many slots as are in your group, all members will auto-connect to that server, if they're already in a server when you login you can try directly connecting to their server, which i believe will have you auto-join once a slot opens up.
    Last edited by Katanas Blade; 09-22-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Thats what I like to hear, a multiplayer expeience where literally anything that can happen. The demo had me impressed enough so that I am going to try and pick it up later tonight or at the very least tomorrow some time.

I haven't invested in a game for awhile so hopefully this can get me back into online play with some AK!!!

Few SS's

Click the pic to view full size if interested.

Full size images are 1680x1050 resolution, taken during my multi-player games.

I picked it up on Sunday and am enjoying everything I have played so far. Single player has been awesome. I am also still getting used to multiplayer, trying to find what role I enjoy the most and what selection of units to use.

During the week school makes it almost impossible to find a decent amount of time to play, but hopefully I can find time on weekends for multiplayer.

One question though, how do I join AK and have it show my tag in game?