Thread: Dumb question...

Dumb question...

So I've been having this problem with my work setup which I'm sure is caused by something dumb I'm doing...
    I have a laptop on a docking station as well as an LCD monitor. On Monday I set it up to be one continuous desktop and arranged accordingly. Well, both Tuesday morning and today I boot up to find that it's not set up like that any longer, so I have to go through the whole process again. Is there some reason my machine isn't saving settings when I shut down? How can I avoid having to spend 10 minutes every morning re-doing my desktop?

Thanks in advance!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

This was a frequent problem for me as well. It stopped happening, but I don't remember why. It might have something to do with control panel/system/Hardware/Hardware profiles. Wherein I now have an "Undocked Profile" and a "Docked Profile"
    [insert signature text here]

The icons on my desktop also won't stay where I put them, which has led me to dump My Documents into my recycle bin at least 3 times already this morning. Sigh.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    It moves the icons around because the resolutions are different between your monitor and the laptop lcd. So if you have a laptop lcd that displays 1024x768 max, then you doc to a system with a monitor that displays 1280x1024,
    all your icons will appear squished to one side of the screen.

And vice versa. Start moving your icons around on that big screen, and they'll get moved back for you (with random results) when you go back to the laptop-only configuration.

You just have to remember when you're on the big monitor not to move icons outside of the "zone" they're, usually in the upper left.