Thread: A weary and hot hello from Baton Rouge

A weary and hot hello from Baton Rouge

Hey guys! I finally have access to internet for the first time in 8 days. I plan on posting a full story of our Gustav adventure complete with pictures, but until then I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and thanks to all who stayed in touch with us and offered help.

The storm came blowing through town on Monday, and don't let the national media fool you, it packed a hell of a punch. Unfortunately for us, the TV cameras set up on the levees in New Orleans waiting for them to break, and when they didn't, they packed up and went home. Meanwhile, Baton Rouge is facing the worst storm in it's history, and we don't hear boo about it on the national news (what little we've been able to access).

In a nutshell, our city went completely without power on Monday morning and is still struggling to recover. Billy and I were unable to find basic supplies such as ice, food, gas, or water until Thursday, and even then what we found was subject to ridiculous lines stretching for blocks. We cooked what we could out of the freezer on the BBQ pit, but other than a few things our entire fridge contents were lost.

My neighborhood (and about 75% of the city, for that matter) is filled with cars and homes which were completely crushed by falling oak trees. Power lines around the city, including the major transmission lines are down everywhere you look. Even today (8 days post-Gustav), when around half the city has power back up, it took me 1.5 hours to drive 4 miles to work because of the lack of traffic signals. At the peak of outage, about 1.2 million people were without power. I believe as of this morning that number is down to around 500,000. My mother's neighborhood was told they would recieve power on or around September 24th.

But I guess the good news is that we were one of the few that didn't have a tree fall through our house, and despite the intense damage surrounding us, the only person in danger in our househould was Billy - I've never heard a grown man whine quite so much about being hot and I thought I was going to kill him!

We do have power back at the house now as of Saturday night, but still no internet. I'm at work for the first time today, and we have power but no air conditioning. Now we are looking at the possibility of Ike heading our way, which I fear would do far more damage to our already weakened city. The news has already forgotten us - I guess our disaster wasn't as flashy as Katrina, and the overhead camera views just didn't grab attention like before. /sigh

For the WoW folks, who knows when we will be back. Our cable/internet provider suffered a 100% outage in our city (of almost 1 million people), so nobody can say when things will be fixed.

Thanks again for all the concern you guys showed us, and I'll have pictures up soon.

ColorLightbulb

Im glad to hear you guys are okay. Your right...they sure didnt make that big of deal out of it....they actually joked about it on the news about it being "the storm that wasnt".

Hope to hear more from you guys soon. Stay safe.....and maybe consider riding the next one out in a hotel maybe 500 miles north?!? They are saying that Ike is going to head for the gulf and it did not loose any strength going over Cuba like they thought it would.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    How many times did Kidd say "these things never happen in Montana"?

Glad you guys are OK. If you were closer I'd lend you my generator. Probably no chance of finding one within 100 miles of Baton Rouge.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

My dad is headed that way to work tomorrow I think.

So if you guys need any basic supplies let me know and we can arrange a pick up or drop off.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    SO glad to hear from ya! I got my intel from ppl that you were ok so I didnt worry after the 2nd day. I know you guys took a beating and if a city is not underwater or 5000 dead or dieing it dosent make news anymore. Well tell kidd to stop being a baby and hope to see ya online sooner than later!

Glad to hear from you darlin!! If ya'll need anything let me know, Stewart's mom and sister have folks bringing down supplies to them from Jackson and I'm sure that they could throw some more stuff in the bed of the truck! Also, if you get tired of Kidd complaining about the heat ya'll just head over to Laura's house they've got a couple generators running and are able to power their AC.
    Love ya'll bunches!! Take care!!!
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

Glad all is well considering the circumstances, I also found out that you guys were ok through the AK forums. Kidd it could be worse you could be............ well maybe not no power for ac, refrigerator or internet sucks

Hey if you can make it through a week or 2 of no power or anything else and not kill each other then your marriage will last forever

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

I'm 2 days late, but glad you are ok.
    Kidd has my number if you need moral support, that's all I can throw at you from up here
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

I hate hurricanes.

Never thought I could hate a weather pattern until I got trapped in one aboard a boat in a marina.

Glad to hear you made it through relatively in one piece.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Sonic Boom View Post
    I hate hurricanes.

Never thought I could hate a weather pattern until I got trapped in one aboard a boat in a marina.
    With nothing to eat but canned fish!

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    Glad to hear you guys are doing ok, its been a bad year for weather it seems.
    I heard they have put out an evacuation notice to the Houston area today.