For super retro you might try System Shock.

While I didn't play it because FPS make me sick at my stomache it had the BEST mood enhnacement and pacing I have ever seen in a game.

The minigames inside were a nice change of pace too.

Definitely should get Diablo 2 and set up a LAN for you guys to play on. I loved that game!

Oh and the No One Lives Forever game or something like that the one with the 60's chic that is Jame's Bond type. (I have a CD of the music but it's also more of a sneak and shoot rather than just a run and gun). Gotta love exploding poddles and perfume as a weapon!

For just a hoot I would reccomend the WORMS franchise. You and the boy can have hours of fun trying to kill each other. They even laugh when you miss!

Another style to try is the adventure type puzzle game. There was a wierd European one not too many years ago that was pretty immersive. I can't remember it's name right now. It might be quite challenging to do without a walkthrough.

Finally there are always books for those times when you don't have a game you want as well. I know you are both big readers anything in particular you want me to send yall's way.