Thread: He just wanted a banana...

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "

He just wanted a banana...

Last night at work we had a "group dinner" to celebrate the completion of a major milestone in our project. This project has spanned 3 years and has involved more than 300 people internationally. One of our team is an Indian consultant from SAP. His name is Manoj. He told us this story:

Recently he was involved with helping with some training in Belgium. Manoj is a vegetarian, and doesn't speak French which made finding a place to eat in the evenings something of a challenge. Eventually he located a place that could make a vegetarian pizza, which he enjoyed for a couple of consecutive meals. Third night in, he wanted something different. Exasperated by the language difficulties, he decided to just ask for some fruit. Gesturing and sign language ensued...he wanted a banana. The owner was very confused, but eventually the universal expression for 'AHA!' flashed across his face.

He led Manoj next door to another store. The shopkeepers spoke rapidly in French, gesturing, which Manoj found very confusing. Soon the second shopkeeper retreated to the back and emerged triumphant.

Holding a pack of condoms.

"Oh no no no, I want a Banana!" Manoj cried.

He told us he had to struggle to get out of the store without buying the condoms. The storekeepers seemed genuinely concerned that he have them.

To this day he has not told his wife this story... The best part which I cannot relate here in words is the gesture/handsignal he used to describe the banana. I still bust a gut thinking about it.

I told him he was lucky he didn't ask for a couple of apples (while making the appropriate cupping gestures.)

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar

Thats funny I can kind of relate having recently been introduced to many foreign speaking customers since being employed as a transportation consultant / customer service rep for the compnay I am currently work for. I actually represent the North American Ground Division but work at the Corperate Office so we tend to get alot of traffic.

Speaking of which maybe I should get in touch with the transporation department @ Irish Springs and see what we can work out