Thread: Furniture advice

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Furniture advice

Steph and I are looking at redoing our living room.

For our first furniture purchase a few years ago, we made the gigantic mistake of purchasing from Ashley Furniture. While comfy for a few months, our couches now are extremely bad --- you can feel all the mechanism from the recliner works underneath them.

We're looking at the stuff they have at Sofa Mart (part of Furniture Row, along with Oak Express). Their higher end leather couches look and feel way better than the Ashley ones, but I do not want to get burned again.

Our budget for a couch and loveseat is around $2,000 -- $2500 -- anyone out there have advice on where to go?

Thanks,
    [AK]Abaddon

Lindz and I bought a couch thingy ( by that I mean 3 pieces that occupy 3/4 of the room) from a local furniture store. No name brands that I can remember, but it's very comfy. I'll research the manufacturer tomorrow morning
    "]

On the high end, look at American Leather (and their once subsidiary, American Fabric). We just bought ours in October for around 3k for the couch. Of course, it's also a King Sleeper and the most comfortable one in the world (No springs, innovated design, etc). It's an amazing couch with great quality. The do sell a full line of products.

I just bought my 'Dad' chair (La Z Boy leather recliner), a good purchase for around 1200.

Our Thomasville reclining wing-backs are holding up good but as they are in the library they get limited and gentle usage.

Stay away from some of the stuff at Macy's furniture (we got burned).

Most of the manufacturers have lines that are solid, takes longer for cushions to wear out, fabric wear, etc. Personally, I've always stayed away from Sofas, Loveseats, or sectionals that have any kind of mechanism in them, they wear down.

I've had the same broyhill sofa for a while now, and the cushions have held up very well for all the heavys that have laid around on it. (during my bachelor days, friend slept on it every night)

and recliner's.... go with lay-z-boy, they're nice, plus you could possibly be helping out with my local economy, they have a factory that does recliners near me.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Thanks ... yeah, the couch and love seat we purchased a few years back are both recliners. The mechanism in them works fine, but it was only a year or so before the cushions went flat and you can feel every spring. I guess at low end, it is better to buy non-recliner furniture.
    [AK]Abaddon

Clay and I bought our big red couch from the local department store. Not sure of the brand. It's simple though with no mechanisms or anything in it. Seems to be holding up great. I'll look for a manufacturer.

Since you have dogs you might need to think twice about leather. They can scratch up the leather pretty good in no time.

Just a thought