Thread: Crimson Skies

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Help Crimson Skies

Picked up a copy of Crimson Skies by Microsoft earlier this week. It's a great 1940's esque flying/dogfighting game set in an alternate history where America has entered a civil war in the 40's. MS makes good games, and I loved Allegiance, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I wasn't disappointed, as this is one fun game, and it even has some elements of I76---ie, alternate history storyline, custom rides, weapon loadout menus, etc. It recieves the Faxman seal of Approval. Can't wait to jump into some multiplayer games.

Hamburger

I was thinking about snagin' my own copy...maybe sometime this weekend

------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Arrow

I've got it! You'll find me on the Zone as AK_Zorro a little more than frequently...I noticed the i76 similarities as well, Fax. It's like what i82 SHOULD have been: beautiful and a great storyline, with a dash of realism thrown in...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

My only disappointment has been the inability to jump into games in progress, a la I'76 and Tribes. Hopefully this will be addressed in a patch....

------------------
    [AK]The Beast
    "Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'." -Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

Thumbs up

Not likely with the Zone dependancy. If you could run your own servers, now THAT would be something... I often think that the act of pushing people into non-independant game servers makes it really hard for organizations like us. It becomes really difficult for us to say, "Yeah, we're gonna start a game on the server at around 6, if you're a little late, just wander on in...and bring your friends!" I hope that there is a bit of a community-wide backlash against game developers that push their infrastructure upon the gamer...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Help

I went out and bought Crimson Skies Saturday. Fun fun game. Very reminicant of I 76. Tried CTF on the zone today, had a blast.

My main complaints are that you can't join a game in progress. That is anoying, but probably will not change. Also you can't link fire (but the computer can, I notice like 4 streams of fire that lay into me while at best I get 2 guns) perhapse that will be fixed. And in first person views your engine sound does not change yet it does in 3rd person view. Sorta looses a bit of imersiveness if I can't hear my engine whine or stall when climbing and diving. Hopefully they will patch that.

Anyone up for a bit of CS sometime? Zeplin vs. Zeplin battles are great, seeing which team can take out the enemy zep first while protecting your own. And CTF is fun too. Deathmatch can be a blast with a few players too. I will be on CS as AK_Widowmaker from time to time

peace,
    [AK]Widowmaker

[This message has been edited by [AK]Widowmaker (edited 10-01-2000).]

August Knights

ColorLightbulb

I picked it up this wekend. I am going to try the zone tonight. I also picked up a Microsoft gamevoice. This thing is pretty cool. You can set up different channles and also use it a voice recognition command base. It also works like a dream with the chat feature. Everyone needs to get one it is very cool.

Goob

We'll all have to hook up for some CS action. I noticed today that there's a 1.01 patch available at Microsoft's website:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/crims.../downloads.asp

Apparently, this fixes the problems with blowing away your saved games when you go into multiplayer mode. Kinda handy, really...

My biggest disappointment thus far with the game is that it only seems to support 16 bit color. I mean, what's up with that? Unless a game started development 5 years ago, it should include support for 32 bit color!

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Warning

It's a great game indeed, but my only complaints are the multiplayer [see above] and the fact that there are only 11 plane frames to choose from....but maybe I'm just getting greedy. We will all have to hook up on the Zone. And don't forget Allegiance, I had a great game on the free zone last night with The Beast. Thank you Microsoft for quality products!