Thread: Sound Blaster Audigy

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Question Sound Blaster Audigy

I'm trying to decide what sound card to buy for my new system (I've decided to have Beast build me a state-of-the-art rig, so hopefully I'm up and running by 2002, and back online with a pipeline.)
    I've been looking at the new Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, has anyone heard good (or bad) things about this card? Particularly, if it suffers from conflicts with Windows XP, which will be my OS.

Fax

I'm considering the Audigy Platinum eX for purchase when I build my new system in late '01, early '02 (depending upon some hardware availability). I can't decide if it will be an improvement over my ultra-l337 Hercules Game Theatre XP (which seems to have all the features of the Audigy Platinum eX at half the price). If I don't like it, then I'll just slap that sound card into the hand-me-down system that goes to the fam.

I haven't heard the horror stories associated with the Live!, especially pertaining to driver support, but, to be honest, I'm still wary of Creative products for that reason alone. My Live! card was as good as a paperweight when I went to W2K, necessitating the update to the GTXP.

Based upon my experience and a so-far spotless record with the GTXP (and its excellent LINUX support), it remains my sound card of choice. You just can't beat the price:performance ratio. On the flip side, some good things have been said about the Audigy... It really comes down to a matter of personal preference and comfort level.
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    I always had good experiences with Creative products, for the most part.

*knocks on wood*

I'll have to look into the Hercules sound card a bit more. I do like the detachable-type bay (Live! drive I believe its called) that the Audigy offers. Does the GTXP have a similar setup?