Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: BattleField: Bad Company 2

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Downloading. Will be interesting to see how this game performs on my Mac Pro.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    I have put 3-4 long sessions in! Great game rank 5 now and have some kool goodies. Lets all get together this weekend if possible......dicusss

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

The servers all seemed to be down last night. Not sure if this is a regular thing. Also when you say update punkbuster, do you mean you're downloading and patching it separately from the deal that gets installed when you buy it?

Anyway in solo play it didn't lag or chop at all for me on the Mac. 1280x1024, medium graphics settings.
    The sun has fallen down

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Is this game any good?
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    The server load at night and the EA/PB connection issues are frustrating, but I know they will get it sorted out soon.

What I can say about the game Bribo, is that it does have the classic feel of 1942, but updated to the point where the modern day combat weapons and scenarios feel fresh and the class progression and unlockables make playing the game even more exciting.

From a Single Player view, the story is very good and the characters are both funny and help move the story along in both a serious and dead pan humor way.

In talking with Beast, Rocks and Camel the other night, we discussed maybe getting a dedicated server setup if the numbers and interest grown for this game. It offers quite a bit and I honestly feel is going to have long lasting appeal.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I spent about an hour and a half in it in single player mode last night...very enjoyable. Production values seem high. Cannot comment on multiplayer yet. We could look into setting up an AK server on a month-to-month basis and see how interest shakes out.
    The sun has fallen down

What are the objectives like in multi-player? I tried the old BF:1942 and found it to be a bit repetitive; whereas I really enjoyed the different objectives in Quake Wars.

I'm really not big on shooter games, but if the support classes (medic? engineer?) are good enough, the maps have good objectives, and there's a lot of AK playing, I might give this a try.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

There are a couple of different modes--there's the classic "capture and hold the points" mode (conquest), and there's something new called "rush", which I haven't tried, but from what I can tell, it involves one team trying to defend objectives while the other tries to blow them up.

What really sets this game apart in my mind is the 100% destructible environments. You can't just sit in one rooftop corner with a sniper rifle forever--once you're spotted, the other team WILL blow it up with grenades and RPGs.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Ugh ... Punkbuster. I was prevented from playing Crysis Wars because the game kept booting me for nonexistent Punkbuster violations. I really hate that piece of ^&*( software. Valve Anti-Cheat seems very effective in comparison. Anyone having issues with PB on BF:BC2?
    [AK]Abaddon

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

So far, I'm not terrifically impressed with the single-player campaign, but the multiplayer is incredibly fun. For my money, this is the best Battlefield game since 1942--better than BF2, which I enjoyed immensely. Everything just feels right. Provided all you WoW addicts can set your warcrack pipes down for five minutes, I could see this game taking off.

Good call on an AK server, Squidly. I suggest we get one that is somewhat centrally located--maybe in Dallas, for example.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I will throw some cash in.....

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Hypernia has servers in Dallas. We can get a 32-player ranked server for $30/month. http://goo.gl/WIJg

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Palooka View Post
    Provided all you WoW addicts can set your warcrack pipes down for five minutes, I could see this game taking off.
    Actually, there is only a small handful of people still playing WoW (Kidd, Azalyn, Mydrial, a squire or two). Most of us are just sitting around not playing anything.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Swae View Post
    Actually, there is only a small handful of people still playing WoW (Kidd, Azalyn, Mydrial, a squire or two). Most of us are just sitting around not playing anything.
    Join us in Bad Company world. There are a handful of different game modes to keep things exciting, the quality of the game is great and with the class unlock ability and weapon progression it makes mixing your choices up alot of fun. Great variety of maps, sizes of the maps are very impressive, destructible environments are a real treat even the weather effects are top notch.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Installing now.
    [AK]Abaddon