Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Hylander View Post
Gunny - I haven't read anything about Apple contacting authorities to press charges. If they did, I'd like to hear / read more about that aspect. I believe the California REACT team was acting on their own fruition due to the publicity.
UPDATE: A sharp-eyed reader points out that the Wall Street Journal Monday quoted a deputy district attorney saying that Apple contacted authorities and "advised [them] there had been a theft," which, according to the Journal, led to the search warrant and the investigation.

Apparently Apple did call it in as a theft - this after it had been returned by people who found and then returned it, upon confirming that it was missing. Sounds like pure spite. My only hope is that the Gizmodo raid was not suggested by Apple. My hope is Apple was more interested in some pointed questions at the original finder - who IMHO does have some explaining to do. As to Gizmodo, whoever made that call was wrong. Why do subpoena's even exist, if even in a case where there was no burglary, they deem it appropriate to do a raid and seizure?