I don't have any utility app recommendations that haven't already been listed, but I do have a few games that I have found to be pretty awesome:

Alchemy - this is not the alchemy that you may be thinking of. This is a great little casual game that you can pick up and play for 5 minutes at a time (although I often get sucked in for much longer). You start with 4 elements - earth, water, fire, and air. You drag and drop the icon together to make new "elements". The long-term goal is to unlock them all...I think now they are up to about 400. Trust me, it's worth trying.

Bubble Blast 2 - simple but addictive puzzle game with roughly 1000 playable levels. Currently my favorite android game.

Bistro Cook - very fun but can be fast paced and at this point I kinda suck at it, but it's still fun.

Traffic Jam - fun and simple puzzle game involving moving cars and trucks around to get the target car through the exit.

Oh, and a non-game - I use Craigsnotifica as a craigslist crawler. Great for notifying me when an ad with my desired keyword is posted, and very easy to set up.