Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Bribo View Post
Yeah, if by whiff you mean "huge success" then you're right.
By whiff, I meant failure to meet expectations of a new form factor with a larger screen, 4G connectivity, and other improvements beyond predictable swapping out 18 month old chips for the latest versions.

The phone itself is no doubt a phenomenal phone! I may get one myself - as cool as Android is, the permanent Beta status of it does get tiresome at times. Chief problem with Android phones is the hardware and the OS aren't perfectly integrated, so there are performance limitations, and excessive power usage causing poor battery life. And it's not nearly as open to user customization as one was lead to believe - I find Android about as locked up as I found iOS on my iPhone 3G.

Back to iPhone 5- As to 4 million sales on opening weekend. Well - I've never been a fan of the whole "If Apple put their symbol on a turd..." type statements - but come on, you have to appreciate that of course if it's a new Apple product - it's going to kill no matter what it is these days. Especially when the star dies and the crowds mourn right before the big release. Hell, SpiderMan 3 and Twilight:New Moon had #3 and #4 biggest opening weekends of all time at the box office. I wouldn't use opening weekend sales as the only benchmark. I'd use that as a benchmark of a phenomenally run business.

Like I said, I think it's a great product, and may well buy one. But as an engineer (and closet Apple fan) - I was hoping for more.