Knights,

I am having problems with viruses ... at least I think that is what the problem is. I ran Norton Anti-Virus 2002 (with latest definitiions) yesterday and discovered that my computer had been infected with a backdoor trojan, as well as some sort of "exception" virus. I deleted the infected files (shellex.exe and one other ending in .bj) and the system now tests clean.

However, stuff keeps disappearing. This morning, my media player would not work because it was no longer installed. A word to the wise ... the XP media player is not available for download. I had to reinstall XP. So I reinstalled and ran Norton AV 2002 again, and found no infection.

Then I tried to put the volume control onto the taskbar, and was informed that the volume control program was not installed and should be downloaded from Microsoft. Now, as far as I can see, the volume control program is not available from MS. I can control the volume at my speakers or inside the control panel, but cannot do it from the taskbar (and I could do so yesterday). Any ideas?

NAV insists the system is clean. I am about to start getting medieval on this machine.

[AK]Abaddon