Thread: Playcube? Xstation? Gamebox? Faxman and The Console Connundrum.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Question Playcube? Xstation? Gamebox? Faxman and The Console Connundrum.

Its that jolly time of year again when we use vaguely religious dates and times as another excuse to fill our lives with more empty and meaningless crap and possesions. Let the holiday shopping begin. I bought almost everyone I know one of those santas that craps rasinettes. My girlfriend, (who, as opposed to me actually has a kind heart and a soul that is not totally blighted with wickedness) decided to buy presents with a bit more gusto...this convinces me that I have the finest girlfriend on the planet...after this weekend in particular. Knowing my love of games of the video nature, she tells me my gift: I am to select one (1) console of my choosing: XBox, PS2, or the silly Gamecube. Now, you may think this is a very easy choice--but I assure you it is not. My options are as follows:

a. choose the PS2 for its DVD player, marvelous track record and abundance of games and it will play some of my old PS games
    b. choose the Xbox, for MS's wonderful track record of creating quality products (no sarcasm), its fine games in particular, and its abundant hype
    c. choose the Xbox for its low cost and abundance of Pokemon based games
    d. tell her not to spend the money, and do all the shopping at the gas station and buy me a santa that craps rasinettes instead.

I am leaning toward the PS2 option (a) at present, but I'm fickle and my preferences change like the winds. I want to know YOUR opinions, as I have never really paid much attention to consoles, especially as of late.

*please note: this post was shameless boasting all around, but I still want your console opinions.

Merry FaXmas!

August Knights

PS2 All the way!!!!!!
    I have been dying for that myself, I have had PS1 forever and it's time to move up.....
    The graphics look awesome......

Just remember Faxman, it's better to give than receive....
    Which means if Christmas is a good reason to give your opponent a big green boomie in the 12 man match then so be it!!!! LOL.......

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    The Xbox has DVD-ability, broadband, a hard disk, games like Dead or Alive (she kicks high!) and Halo, and controllers large enough to serve as snow shows if terrorists detonate nukes starting a nuclear winter.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

The XBOX is a far superior piece of hardware than either the PS2 or the Gamecube. But come on, the technology in the XBOX is over two years old. Rather than having her fork out $300 for an already obsolete console, tell her to buy you a GeForce 3 or something. The only reason I would ever buy an XBOX is because it plays DVDs, and I need a DVD player, anyway. So, why not buy a DVD player that also plays Halo?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Supposedly there's "big plans" in store for the Xbox. I dunno what that means, exactly, but there you go... 1337 H4x0rz are already coding linux apps for the thing
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

I have a PS2 and I am an avid console gamer.

I have to say the PS2 is fantastic. Some of the games are realy mindblowing and the graphics are amazing and all that. And yes, it is FULLY backward compatible with old plastation games, controllers, and memory cards (I think you need the PS2 memory card for PS2 games though) and pretty much all other PS1 stuff (multi taps, etc...). The PS2 does not have any on-line capability yet, like it matters, the computer makes a much better platform for on-line gaming, maybe if the console had a keyboard and mouse though. There are plans to add on-line stuff for the PS2. I also am of the opinion that there is no better controller as far as functionality/usability goes than the Playstation Dual Shock controller. All the buttons and anaolg sticks are just where they are supposed to be and the buttons are analog in themselves, in driving games if you opt not to use the analog joystick many times the buttons work the same way press harder to go faster... The X-Box also has those type of buttons. The software selection for the PS2 is pretty big but most of the games are utter crap, as with all game systems.

Must have titles for the PS2 are Grand Turisimo 3 (absolutely THE BEST car simulator of any system including PC's plus with 120+ cars to choose from a mighty fine selection and graphical replayes that will make your eyes bleed), Grand Theft Auto 3 (that game where you steal cars in a city, but this time it is 3'rd person view instead of top-down and the game plays out like a classic gangster flick), Twisted Metal: Black (cars killing cars with weapons? Killer clowns? Sign me up!), and Metal Gear Solid 2 (I have not finished this game yet but it is stunning... just stunning). I have several other games which are not much good at all (whoever gave The Bouncer a good review smokes crack!). I am more than happy with my PS2, and a friend of mine is getting one so we can link up our PS2's at one of our houses and do some Grand Turisimo racing since you can link up to 6 of the systems together for some serious action in that game.

That being said I also will be getting an X-Box someday, no hurry on my end I'll wait till I can go to any store and pick one up. Well, Ok, if I see one I buy it imediately but no pre-order crap or waiting in line at midnight for it. Games are cool and all but I have a life. At this point my only driving reason to get the X-Box is for Halo. Dead or Alive is OK but I am realy waiting for Tekken 4 for the PS 2 when it comes out. Tekken is just too cool. Asside from Halo I just can't think of any other good XBox games I like the looks of. I have seen the Project Gotham Racing game and believe me Grand Turisimo is HEADS AND SHOULDERS ABOVE IT! Project Gotham feels more acadish where as in GT they actualy simulate automobiles, right down to the wind break effect when creeping up behind a car then the push to get around it through increaced air resistance... fantasic. The X-Box will have broadband compatibility but as with all the console game on-line ability you will have to pay a monthly subscriber fee to use most if not all of it on-line.

Oh, and the Playstation 2 plays DVD's just fine, by the way. And for a few bucks you can even buy a remote control unit for it just for the DVD function so you don't have to use the game controler to play a movie.

It is up to you though. I am an old Playstation fan from way-back so I have the PS2. I want the X-Box for, well, Halo and it's potential for future games. I read that the X-Box has mostly american software companies developing for it... and that was used as a downside in the article I read. Now I like the japanese games fine (wasted more hours than I want to recall on Street Fighter 2 for the SNES) but I get tired of the japanese graphics after a while and want to see something more... flashy that the american teams come out with. So in my opinion the X-Box may turn out to be the best unit ever (for now) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hard decision there, bro, I would hate to have to choose between one or the other but were it me I would go for the PS2 just because I liked my old Playstation so well and this one will still play my classic favorites just hunky dory.

Forget the Nintendo Piece of Sh.... you know. I mean realy, how many damn Mario games and spinoffs and Pokemon crap does one company have to try to milk. The graphics on that unit are... Ok, but not what I would call revolutionary and its target market is far less than half my age. The only game I was interested in was the Rogue Commander, the sequel to Rogue Squadron which was an incredible game for the N64. But I got to mess around with Rogue Commander in the store the other day and it ain't worth the price of the unit. Whatever, I would not even bother with the Nintendo thing unless they can prove that they will put out a game for someone other than 9 year olds.
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker