Thread: World War II Online.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

World War II Online.

Anyone looked at this upcomming massively multiplayer game? Sounds awsome, combining realistic ground/air/water simulation with an RPG. You start as a recruit and gain "rank" by completing missions (game generated or player made). The higher your rank the more equipment you have access to, high level naval commanders can command battleships and aircraft carriers and such, plus you must have a crew of players to man the turrets and such (I read that the aircraft carrier needs a crew of 10 plus pilots for the planes). There is infantry combat, naval warfare, and air fighting all in the same landscape at the same time with servers much like EQ that will hold thousands of people waging war at the same time. I like the sound of this game, give me a plane to fly or a tank to drive (someone else can shoot) and I will be happy. The graphics in the screenshots are pretty cheesey but they are working on GAMEPLAY first and graphics second.

Here is a FAQ I found about it:

What is World War II Online™?

World War II Online™ is an entirely new category in the world of massively multiplayer online games. It brings air, ground, and sea combat of World War II to life in an online, real-time, persistent, and massively multiplayer environment. You can command and crew a variety of accurately modeled vehicles, aircraft, and ships or you can explore the world and fight as a foot soldier in first person- combat with and against thousands of others players! It is the first online virtual battlefield which combines aircraft, tanks, ships, and individual soldiers- all player controlled and all in the same combat theater.

How do I get it?

World War II Online™ 'Blitzkrieg' is the first retail release and will be through retail and online stores in Q2 2001. The suggested retail price will be $39.95 USD. Subscriptions for online play will be available exclusively at Playnet.com for a monthly fee of $9.99 USD. Signup for your FREE community membership today to reserve your game name and get access to the official World War II Online™ community services package.

When will this game be released?

A closed beta test is underway and an open beta will be conducted before the mid-2001 release.

How do I get into the Beta?

We are not accepting new applicants into the closed Beta test but the public will have an opportunity to get into the open Beta prior to retail release.

How much will it cost?

The retail boxed game will be available for purchase at retail outlets and online stores. The suggested retail price is $39.95 USD. Subscriptions for online play will be available exclusively at Playnet.com for a monthly fee of $9.99 USD. In addition to groundbreaking player services, game patches and technical support your subscription will entitle you to a FREE upgrade to add the naval ships and weapons of both the Allies and Axis forces of 1940.

What are the system requirements?

Windows 95/98/Me/2000 (minimum system requirements)
    Pentium II 400, 128MB RAM, 16MB 3D Video Card, DirectSound Compatible Audio Card, 8X CD ROM, 56K Modem w/Internet Access

Windows 95/98/Me/2000 (recommended system requirements)
    Pentium III 600, 256MB RAM, 32MB 3D Video Card, DirectSound Compatible Audio Card, 40X CD ROM, 56K Modem w/Internet Access

Recommended Video Cards
    3dfx Voodoo3
    ATI Rage Pro
    Matrox MGA G400
    NVidia Riva 128
    NVidia Riva TNT2

Recommended Audio Cards
    Creative Soundblaster
    EAX Chipsets
    Auriel Chipsets

Macintosh OS (to be announced)

How many people can play at once?

World War II Online™ is a massively multiplayer game like none before with support for thousands of simultaneous players. Our proprietary distributed host model has no hard limits on the number of concurrent users and will push beyond limits set by previous MMOGs.

How do I gain rank?

Players can gain rank and responsibility by completing missions which award them rank points. As point are accumulated, rank is increased and players can effect more strategic elements in the game.

Can I play for any country?

Yes, players will be able to play personas for each country under each side (Allied and Axis).

What time line of the war is going to be simulated?

All of the main theaters of WWII will be opened for combat in the basic timeline of the second world war. World War II Online™ 'Blitzkrieg' starts during the Battle of France in 1940.

What will happen when the war ends?

The war will begin all over again. Winning the war is not something that can be done quickly and easily. In one theater alone, it may take weeks or months to claim a total victory for one side.

Will there be AI controlled troops or vehicles?

Yes, the supply system, and defensive guns of facilities, will be run by AI. But all offensive vehicles and troops will be real players.

You will see me there if this game is anything near what it claims to be. Oh the fun of fighting a virtual war in first person in a tank, transport, ship, submarine (yes you too can be a U-boat commander), fighter or bomber. Ahh I can already smell the gunpowder... or was that another drive by down the road?

peace,
    [AK]Widowmaker

[This message has been edited by [AK]Widowmaker (edited 04-09-2001).]

ColorLightbulb

I've been keeping tabs on this one Wid. I'm a big WWII buff and have enjoyed several board, and PC games over the years. I currently play Steel Panthers World at War. Its nothing like what WWII Online is but its free, lots of resources, bug free and feeds my need.

I'm hoping WWII Online is as good as it looks on their site.

[AK]NeverRetreat