Thread: New Half-Life mod, Day of Defeat.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb New Half-Life mod, Day of Defeat.

Been playing around with this mod a little, because it is set in WW2 I wanted to play with the weapons and such from that era in preperations for WWII online (in case it is any good). This Half-Life mod is not bad at all. Looks like they took Counterstrike and combined it with Firearms then set it in World War 2. The gameplay is interesting and they did an interesting thing with spawning. You spawn as "reinforcements" they do this by setting a timer for respawns, as soon as the first person dies (not sure if it is for each team or for the whole server) a timer is set, around 10 or 15 seconds I think and anyone that dies in that time will not spawn until that timer is done. Then everyone that died spawns, seems kind of strange at first but once you get used to the game you basicaly spawn as a group of reinforcements and move out in waves. The objectives are either a series of flags that the teams need to capture and hold, like Tribes C&H, and/or a target that one team needs to defend/destroy.

The weapons are nice and period with bolt action riffles and old sub machine guns. Damage modeling works pretty well, torso or head rifle shots are most of the time one shot kills. You can bleed to death too (ala Firearms mod) wich you need to bandage to stop the bleeding (can't shoot while bandaging). They have a stamina bar that will drop rapidly if you try to jump a lot to discourage the deathmatch jumping to make yourself harder to hit, instead you lie prone on the ground. Makes for a nice feeling when your team is running down an alley or behind a bunker and you hear gunshots and everyone hits the dirt instead of bunny hopping.

The graphics look pretty well borrowed from Counterstrike so they look pretty good with the Allied and Axis force skins. I have to say this mod is more fun than I thought it would be, the ambient sounds seem taken straight from WWII movies (distant machine gun fire, bombs going off, airplane engines, etc...) and the voices are pretty good (axis voices are all in german with the text on screen in english). It has its fair share of bugs to be sure (I have had it crash a few times and some of the weapon modles are unfinished). But considering the mod developers call it a "beta 1" product it is darn good. An interesting change from the high tech fighting I have seen in the first person shooter world.

I realy like the slower action riffles and lying prone to avoid fire (always though bunny hopping looked stupid and lying prone was missing from Counterstrike).

This has been a public service announcement from [AK]Widowmaker

Arrow

I played it about 3 months ago. (maybe more) It was pretty fun, but I was still addicted to CS and it didn't get in the rotation of games for me

------------------
    If It's Free Take 2
    -Drewski

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

It is cute and an interesting diversion but it will not hold a permentant place in my heart. But if you own half life and are interested in a WWII genre then it is worth playing for a bit. I still like it but I can see that I will get tired of it. Most of the maps I hate but some are great. I just like hitting the dirt when the dung starts flying because I find that more life like than bunny hopping to avoid fire.

Tribes 2 I like for entirely opposite reasons, it is so far from reality that it is truly what I would call "escape". Day of Defeat I play for more of a down to earth feeling and to get ready for WWII online (again in case it is as good as it boasts).

peace,
    [AK]Wid'