Thread: DSL question

DSL question

I know next to nothing about DSL and I am just curious if some you guys can give me some possible reasons for the trouble I am having. In Tribes the game will just pause, and I have no idea why. When I am browsing the internet, about every 5 - 10 minutes pages will stop loading, and this last for a minute or two before everything will go back to normal.

In game yesterday when I was having problems Slaughter mentioned that I had a ton of packet lose. I don't know if the two things are related or not, but I thought I would mention that.

Is this an issue with the DSL connection? Soemthing conflicting with my operating system? Crappy equiptment? Any ideas at all? Something to bring up with technical support? I am at a lose.

pix

Phone

Packet loss on DSL is often a result of iffy phone lines. You living in an older part of town/older building with older phone lines? That could cause problems. Call your local telephone company and report static and popping on the line. That will prompt a site visit where they'll check for signal strength, line impedance, interference, etc.
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

August Knights

I've had a similar problem lately. I can watch it in T2 on the network display. I get a half-secondlag spike ever three or four seconds. It totally ruins T2.

I had the cable guy come out, and he said that part of my problem was that I had overburdened my cable line. I got one of those surge protectors that protects the cable line. The cable guy told me that 1) the cable wire is already grounded, so there's no need to put a surge protector on it, and 2) the surge protector lowers the strength of the signal.

But after all that, I've still got the lag spikes. I guess I'll call the cable company again.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas