Thread: Dueling

Question Dueling

I'd like some pointers for 1 on 1 duels I frequently get into on the pubs. Right now, I probably win them 25% of the time. I'd like to get that number up to 50%.

I know I should wait until they land, then disc them. CG them while in the air. Any pointers on how to be more accurate?

If I wanted to be a dedicated 'dueler', what's the best loadout and armor type? I'd also appreciate any tips on when is the best time to use each weapon. I noticed that Heavies will use the mortar during duels, but I more often then not blow myself up when I try it.

Thanks!

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Preferred loadout for dueling - Chaingun, Disk, Grenade Launcher.

Some will use the elf instead of the grenade launcher - but mostly only in matches.

As far as when to chain and when to disk - that's a "feel" thing. Starting off with a chaingun whenever your opponent leaves the ground is probably a good thing until you get more comfortable.

As far as disking, you have to lead them... aim where they're going to land. Try to get that spash damage as much as possible. Most of the time you're aiming at the ground or building, and not the player.

With regards to heavies, a lot of them will drop a mortar at their feet when they know
    you're following them. If you're playing in heavy armor, disk and chain is still the way to go most of the time.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

You have the general idea on the weapon use. Chain while your opponents in the air (until u master the ma), disc your opponent on the ground unless your angle is bad or your opponent is far way, then whip out the grenades. They are a quick killer if your fire them right where your foe is landing.
    IMO the most important thing about dueling is movement. Stay in the air blah blah. But most great players jet from side to side landing or while in the air. This makes you less predictable and chances are that disc or gren might miss. Straight lines = dead.

Thats what I try to do, but I usually run out of juice, or I end up jetting backwards into a mountain. I guess an energy pack would help.

Is there any good way to predict where your enemy is going to land? I think I'm too slow with the disc. I usually fire at the spot they land at, but by that time they are back in the air. I need to work on predicting when they are going to touch down, in addition to where.

I personally think of myself as a rather patient dueler, I tend to let people come to me. I stay on the ground a lot and jet at the last minutes to avoid the disk, but usually after doing that, I will have a real good angle on my oppoent and I will also have a lot more enery. Its a dangerous tactic, and only pays off on occasion. I am on duel servers a lot, if you want to practice look me up with the buddy filter.

I also just realized (last night) that I need to compensate for my own movement when leading someone. I never really noticed that until I was running around a target beacon with a spinfusor and noticed that my aim point was affected by my speed and direction.

I also ordered an optical mouse. I don't think my current one is responsive enough. I'm sure I'll find out I still suck when I get the new one.

Two questions:

I was reading somewhere that you run faster in any armor without a pack and less weapons. Do you guys carry as little as possible to get the max speed, especially on offense? I've always thought the Juggernaught armor was too slow on HO, but I wonder if I only carry 2 or 3 weapons whether that will make much of a difference? I always die instantly on HO.

Also, whats a good weapons loadout for deployer/secondary defense? Spinfusor, chaingun, ELF, missles outside, replace the missles with a plasma inside? I figure the ELF would be good to slow someone down for the HD to get them, or drop them into the turret farm.

Thanks!

I'm taking by the lack of response that trying to reduce the weight you are carrying isn't that big of a deal?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Always carry all the weapons and packs you can fit on yourself. Let no slot go unused.

I've noticed that Ammo, Turret, and Inventory packs will slow you down more than some of the others. Not a big deal, given the use of each of those packs.

On deployment - I have a different loadout specified for each thing I'm deploying, and the weapons I carry, as a result, differ for each.

My Landspike deployer is going to be working outside, so I use a Rocket Launcher, Disk, Flares, Chaingun, and Mines. The last weapon can be whatever you prefer.
    Yes, elf is a great weapon to use if your primary goal on a map is to farm landspikes.

My Spider deployer usually works inside, so I'll substitute the Plasma gun for the
    Rocket launcher, and grenades for flares.

If you really get into farming, it would be a good idea to create an "inside and outside" loadout for each item you're deploying.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.