Thread: Error Message: Wrong version. Want to update?

Question Error Message: Wrong version. Want to update?

The title of this thread is what I read everytime I try to get into a multiplayer game. I can play single just fine. I am guessing I would be able to play ok in multiplayer too but I wont know until I am allowed to play. I have tried many servers and I get the same message. I dont believe it is a normal rejection. Like I am trying to get into a mod game server. One other person I have found in the EA forum has the same problem. Am I being overly concerned? Do I need to go on trying to get into servers until there is no doubt that I am suffering a bug? Please, someone let me know what to do to fix this business or let me know I am wrong and to keep trying. Maybe there are servers who haven't got the patch yet and therefore are "the wrong version". Hmmmm. I will go on trying to get in but, for now, I am pretty sure this situation with the error message is something wrong. I heard of your site in the EA forum. Show me how smart you are. I have the XP operating system, HP pavilion 780c computer, pentium 4, GeForce 2 video card, MX 400 graphics card, and 512 mb of RAM. I hope that all helps. Meanwhile I will keep on trying with little faith..........................
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ohly the dead know the end of war.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

The simplest thing to try would be uninstalling/reinstalling the game and re-applying the patch. Did you try that yet?
    City of Villains, the Justice server.

Electrosmasher, level 36 Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute
    Atomstrike, Level 35 Radiation corruptor
    Crimson Razor, Level 35 Ninja blade/Ninja Reflexes Stalker
    Devia, level 26 Psionic/Psychic Blast Dominator

"Would you use your powers for Good or for Awsome?" - Strong Bad

[AK]Widowmaker

Check

Check...........will do. If that doesn't work ...........well...........there is always the long wait for the next patch.............Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks. I will get back to you about the result................if any...........

Shades

It's worth a shot, if uninstall/reinstall does not work then some more digging is required. Just remember to uninstall first. It may even be a good idea to delete any files left after the uninstall (the directory that the game installs itself to, I forget the default but it is probably c:\program files\EA GAMES, delete the BF1942 folder in there I think).

I don't think there would be any registry change that would affect your error so I would make the assumption that it is in the program files itself. All this is conjecture.

Let me know if uninstall/reinstall helps, it could be useful info for others.

[AK]Widowmaker

I had a weird problem with our server when I installed the retail version... It would only show up in the MP Demo client's browser, meaning the server thought it was still a demo server... Maybe there's something to that with the client as well. Maybe something as silly as a reboot will fix things... Dunno...
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

I got the game to work. I had a bad download. I went through it again and the download worked. Wrong version means, apparently, the patch didn't stick. Hmmm. Thanks, everyone.................Still runs alittle clunky.

I got the game to work. I had a bad download. I went through it again and the download worked. Wrong version means, apparently, the patch didn't stick. Hmmm. Thanks, everyone.................Still runs alittle clunky.

Shades

Most people post that turning down the sound quality and channels (and turning on hardware support) help the clunkieness.

If you already know that disregard

[AK]Widowmaker

As Wid said, try turning your sound levels down. If you are running a non-1337 2 speaker system (like me), you won't even notice it. I find 11KHz and 24 voices work fine for me. With 16 voices I'd get silent explosions and other missed sounds.