Thread: Somebody explain

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "

Somebody explain

Somebody explain spotting to me. If I'm a scout and I use the binocs, do I have to press any key to get "send the spot" to my artillery guys? Does the "spot" go out to everyone in an artillery vehicle, out of range or not?

How does this "spot" work? Is it a spot in the sky for them to fire at or what?

I'm asking because I have never been able to get anyone to cooperate with me in a net game, and it kinda doesn't work in Solo... :P
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

There's a cool artillery FAQ I read someplace the other day... It didn't really help me much since Pal and I worked out most of the basics one night on the server. Essentially, the scout uses his binoculars to target a specific item or area. Stationary targets are typically better, because it usually takes at least 3-4 shots to get everything aligned properly... When the report comes in from the scout, the artillery man clicks his right mouse button and gets a view of the target which is centered in the crosshair of a screen-filling circle. Then, a tank on the circumference of the circle represents the artillery location... The idea is to point the arrow on the tank at the cross hairs. Then all you have to guess about is the trajectory and thereby the height of your gun barrel. Reports come into all arty operators regardless of range. When you fire, you get a view, from the perspective of the scout, of the shell in flight, showing it's final destination so that you can adjust accordingly. Scouts need not stay in the same spot once they make the report. They can move to another place, wait for the artillery to call out for another target, and make another report... Now, lemme find that FAQ..........

Ah, here it is (gotta love the ability to search History in IE6...)

http://fs.mmgn.com/bf1942match/arty/

HTH!
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

Cool. I was shelling Omaha beach the other day using directed fire; this article makes the process a lot more logical.