Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruits: Feedback requested

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Recruits: Feedback requested

Now that I've been the chief recruiter for almost a month, I'd like to get some feedback from the recruits on how I'm doing so far. In particular, are you finding it easy to get all the information you need from us as far as practices, scrimmages, etc.? So far, the only mass-mailing I've sent out was in regards to our first practice. Would you guys like to have more of this info e-mailed or are you content with it just being posted here? I'm particularly concerned with the few guys who filled out an application and haven't been around much since then. What can Faxman and I do to make the August Knights more "user-friendly" for the new guys?

Thanks guys--your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Well first off I hope I'm not one of the guys you say signed up and you don't see around much. You'll notice me on the game being blown to bits by someone and occassionally getting a sniper kill, but having a great time nonetheless. I feel that the information posted about practices and scrimmages on this site is fine enough. I just check it once a day or so, respond to things interesting and remember when we are to be playing. The one improvement I would like to see is about status. I sent my email to join, and then was allowed to view the strategy forum, but other than that I don't know how I am doing at becoming an August Knight. Maybe assign new recruits a Knight to let them know how they are doing? Or maybe just playing with the Knights is good enough to get me in. Either way it would be nice to know.

Also not killing me so often might help too. Just kidding.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Basically, staying involved is what gets it done. Keep playing and posting.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

so far, so good, but I've only been here about 2 weeks or so....

So far, everything seems to be just alright. I'm even beginning to recognize voices on TS, and I've learned to run from Palooka

I try to hit these boards about 2-3 times a day. When I do, i check into the practice schedules. It's no problem.
    This space for rent.

No complaints.

I would just like to see more scrimmages against other teams, which I realize is easier said then done.

G

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

We've got a scrimmage in the works for next week.. probably Tuesday or Thursday.

More info soon.
    The sun has fallen down

Question

I haven't applied to join or anything, I was just invited by Choozoo the other day along with some other folks from our squad. I was reading through this forum and I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to, though:

1.) Are members assigned(or sign into) specific roles? Like, in Windhund Choozoo and I are flyers, I fly a Stuka specifically. Do you have a similar division of forces, or does everybody just sort of hop into whatever is around?

2.) Do you have any particular radio doctrine, rules for how to use the Teamspeak?

3.) What's your command structure shaped like? Is there someone all the new recruits answer to in the game, or does it depend on their branch/wing/whatever(this dependant on #1 again)?

4.) What time of day and what days is/are the server usually populated? And the Teamspeak server up?
    Experience the Effect

I like the fact that we are assigned certain roles and responsibilities during practice and scrims. Then there are the nights of free for all mayhem which in it's self is good too. It gives you the opportunity to try different roles and strategies before you make any requests or suggestions. Looking forward to tonights scrim.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Originally posted by Meissner

1.) Are members assigned(or sign into) specific roles? Like, in Windhund Choozoo and I are flyers, I fly a Stuka specifically. Do you have a similar division of forces, or does everybody just sort of hop into whatever is around?
    Members are assigned to roles. Some members (Zorro, for instance) are so good at a particular role that they always play it. Zorro is a pilot, and if the map has planes he'll always be in the cockpit. Other members are great tankers (Armada), so they'll get the armor if it's available. Bearing this in mind, we look at each map, define the way we want to approach it, and assign players to particular tasks. 3 players may be assigned to take and hold a flag. That's all they'll do the entire game. 2 players may be assigned to infiltrate the enemy base, etc. Obviously as the battle moves on, players may be moved from role to role via teamspeak. More on this below.

2.) Do you have any particular radio doctrine, rules for how to use the Teamspeak?
    We have several channels which we split into. The idea when using teamspeak is to
    stay off it unless you have something important to say. I don't want to hear you saying "damn this guy is completely owning me." I DO want to hear: "Tank incoming east." "Sniper in the second floor of the flag building." "We need help taking the eastern flag". Etc.

3.) What's your command structure shaped like? Is there someone all the new recruits answer to in the game, or does it depend on their branch/wing/whatever(this dependant on #1 again)?
    We run 2 platoons. Each platoon has a platoon leader, and a teamspeak channel.
    The platoon leader has complete control over the platoon (he can even send one of his guys to the other platoon if he wants to.) Platoons are assigned prior to the game starting (usually several days in advance, on our private strat forum.) Players get playing time based on skill, participation in practice, ping, and enthusiasm. Recruits get to show their stuff in practices (Monday and Wednesday, 9:00pmEST) when we're not scrimming. Attendance goes a LONG way towards getting play time in scrims (and TWL ladder matches.)

4.) What time of day and what days is/are the server usually populated? And the Teamspeak server up?
    Mondays and Wednesdays at 9pmEST you will always find us on. Also on "off days" many of us like to pop on after 9pm to practice, so you can usually find a good number of folks around. We often get a 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 going.

As we get ourselves situated, we will be scrimming far more than we will be practicing.
    Practices are fine for getting used to the details of a new map, but scrims are where the value is.

Teamspeak is up 24/7, and if they're playing BF1942, AK members pop on it to see where their buddies are playing.
    Last edited by [AK]Squidly; 10-23-2002 at 05:14 AM.
    The sun has fallen down

Faxman specializes handing you a burning stick of dynamite and running away laughing maniacally (or is it giggling like a schoolgirl?).

Palooka could be the offical target, as he wields the mystical shield of bullet deflection.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Palooka is just too damn good. Reminds of his 733t base raping skills in Tribes2.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Mabye posting a sticky thread at the top of this forum, or a special forum for "access" and "membership" requests would be a good idea. I for one am not clear on a lot of the "joining" requirements/rules. There seems to eb a lot of information scattered about, but no one shop stop for it.

I do not have access to the strat forums/private forums, and thats not a complaint just pointing it out. But if I am told to get information from them as a recruit... then really I should be able to get there. SO by establishign an area for requests to access it might clear up confusion a bit.

If there is a set waiting period for membership, or access. If we have to attend X amount of events ebfore membership is granted. ETC. I have read "semi thouroughly" through the site and really have not found all that I need to in that matter.

Not complaining mind you, I am trying to give feedback as requested, and of course throw in my two coppers.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

If you filled out an application on the main page, Beast should've responded with an email containing the information you're looking for. Then you'll get access to the private forum as well.
    The sun has fallen down

Yep I applied a couple of days back, not sure when, last week some time I think? I Did get a letter but it really didnt cover the questions above. Creating a respository for "joining" information might make it easier for people to go through the process, and avoid any confusion.

Again this is in no way a slight on anyone, I am trying to provide good feedback to make things better. I was confused, and remain so about the entire system. Mabye it is me, I have been accused of being "slow" at times. It is entirely possible my concusions and brain damage are catching up with me.
    /shrug