Found this on someones website and it was experiences like this that made me love infantry. I have actualy spent like 30min or longer as infantry trying to take a town and had a BLAST without firing a single shot. As infantry right now the point is to try to get into town and capture without getting yourself killed. If you are seen you are dead, period, so it is all about stealth. I have watched enemies march in front of me and not fired a shot, because I might be able to get one or two of them but that would do no good as thier friends would nail me and a dead soldier accomplishes nothing.

Anyway here is the account, note this is not my experience but I have had simaler experiences that have endured me to infantry.

I logged in on Friday to see how things were going. I found a group of 5 guys moaning about how "infantry in this game is going to suck big time" etc.. "god, you don't even have a chance in hell ..." etc. etc..

After discussing things with them, and determining what they had or hadn't done in the game yet, and so on, I said "grab your gun and follow me."

The 6 of us spawned with our SMGs and rifles at the Spontin-Dinant FB, and not finding any vehicles, took off for the bushes nearby.

While we were running, I explained how to go about things. "Run till you are out of 'run' then trot, but get to the bushes, and drop to the ground, recover your breath." Rinse repeat. "Head for the edge of that forest for cover."

After 5 mins, we were in the forest edge. Once we started moving along that edge piece, crawling under the branches where need be, they started to say things like "wow, this is cool" and "this is the longest I've lived yet" etc..

A bunch of enemy tanks from Dinant ground up through their gears along the road just beside the forest edge we were in. Infantry rode on their backs. "Pick 'em off guys, one at a time" I said, and we did just that. The tanks stopped, the survivng infantry jumped off, the tanks rotated their turrets. They didn't know where we were hiding, and we killed all the infantry before the tanks rolled off down the road, none the wiser.

The response was immediate and positive. "woot !" "wow, cool-a-mundo!" and so on. We made our way to the end of the forest area, and looked out on the field crossing the distance from us to the East Dinant ridge. "No cover!" they seemed dismayed.

"Follow me" I said again. They learned to dash from ground clutter to ground clutter bush/shrub/tree, and to hide inside it while recovering their breath for the next bit of running. At one point, a Hawk-75 dove at us, and looking up to my left I saw the wings light up as the tracer clawed its way straight at us. I thought "we are so dead" and typed "hit the dirt !" When the plane had zoomed past us, I yelled "run till he comes around again, then drop in a bush if you can."

We lost 2 guys but 4 of us survived until we were hiding in a bush each, overlooking Dinant from the cliff next to us. These guys were completely PUMPED about their experience so far, and for 15-20 mins most of what they'd done was hide, run, quake in fear and try to stay alive. The actual "kill folks" element of their mission so far had been about 2 mins worth of fun from the forest edge cover 10 minutes ago.

To cut a long story short, we crept all the way into Dinant, using the more obvious actions of others nearby to attract attention away from our stealthy sneaking in type activity.

We went from depot building to behind crates, to the church and the next depot building. We killed another 2 soldiers we saw in Dinant, and avoided several tanks by just plain being quiet and hiding.

Eventually, we stormed the capture office in the army base but, having not been able to kill the titanium alloy guard bren gun nest, only one of us survived the charge, but when I spoke to these guys afterwards, their opinion of the game had gone from "this sucks" to "THIS ROCKS!"

[AK]Widowmaker