Hard Drive 2 : None
    CD/DVD ROM : 16x DVD ROM, Internal QTY: 1
    CDR-W : None
    Video : 128MB GF4 Ti-4600 w/ TV out QTY: 1
    Sound : Creative SB Audigy X-Gamer QTY: 1
    Modem : 56K V.90 Fax/Data/Voice Modem QTY: 1
    Network : Intel Ether Express Pro 8460C3 QTY: 1
    Case : SuperCase 4800 w/ 300W PS, w/ 2nd Fan QTY: 1
    Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition w/Microsoft Original CD Package QTY: 1
    Software : None
    Keyboard : 104Key Win98 PS/2 Keyboard QTY: 1
    Mouse : MS IntellIipoint Opitcal Mouse QTY: 1
    Speakers : Altec Lansing AVS300W 3 pieces QTY: 1
    Monitor : None
    Removable Device : None
    Additional Adapter : None
    Warranty : Fully Assembled w/ 1-Year Part & Labor Warranty QTY: 1

Is this a decent system for the price?

I tried to go for the high end hardware, but I'm not really up on which sound cards are better then others, or what LAN adapter is best. I'm under the impression that high end NICs and sound cards will reduce processor load? I'm also not up on motherboards and chipsets, but I believe ASUS is a better brand?

One last question. For the FSB speed (266 above), the processor, Mobo, and memory all should operate at the same speed? I saw there was 333 Mobo's and memory available, but it doesn't looke like any of the Athlons come in 333.

Originally posted by [AK?]Hale
    I was amusing myself at PCUSA.com and configured the following system:

$1382.75 for Package 27: Base on Credit Card Payment >> Configuration: # 1

Processor CPU : AMD Athlon XP-2200+, 1.8 GHz 266 FSB QTY: 1
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a 2200 if I had it to do all over again... Using the best tricks I know, I can only get this bad-boy to run at 2GHz, which is a lame overclock in my experience. The newer 2400's, 2600's, and 2800's are supposed to be MUCH better overclockers if you ever get the urge to push the envelope. Also, a couple of the new chips (don't remember which ones) support 333MHz FSB out of the box...(mmm...tasty!)
    System Board : ASUS A7V266E, VIA® KT266A, DDR, No Audio QTY: 1
    I would really recommend a KT333-based motherboard, or even a KT400. The performance difference between the KT333 and the KT400 is pretty disappointing, unfortunately, so I wonder if they won't release a KT400a like they did back with the KT266. Personally, I'm waiting on the nForce2 for my next system build...
    CPU Fan : ThermalTake Volcano 6 QTY: 1
    Memory 1 : 512 MB DDR / 266 MHz RAM QTY: 1
    Memory 2 : 512 MB DDR / 266 MHz RAM QTY: 1
    Memory 3 : None
    Do yourself a favor and find out what chips are on the RAM. If they're not 5ns Samsung, then you need to tell them to just hold the RAM and you'll buy your own... Cheap RAM makes baby Jesus cry...
    Floppy Drive : 1.44MB Floppy Drive/internal QTY: 1
    Hard Drive 1 : WD 100GB 7200RPM, ATA100 QTY: 1
    Hard Drive 2 : None
    Serial ATA is available on a few motherboards these days... I really would recommend using that on any performance system...
    CD/DVD ROM : 16x DVD ROM, Internal QTY: 1
    The ONLY acceptable DVD is the Pioneer DVD-106s. That slot loader is simply da bomb...

The CDR-W : None
    Video : 128MB GF4 Ti-4600 w/ TV out QTY: 1
    As much as it pains me to admit it, the only choice for video cards today is the Radeon 9700 Pro. I still won't buy one because I have personal issues with ATi, but if you're looking for performance, that's the way to go...
    Sound : Creative SB Audigy X-Gamer QTY: 1
    Modem : 56K V.90 Fax/Data/Voice Modem QTY: 1
    I really like the new US Robotics 56K Performance Pro modem these dayse. It's NOT a WinModem, which means you'd actually be able to use it in Windows AND Linux without problems. If you've got broadband, I wouldn't even bother with a silly modem, though...
    Network : Intel Ether Express Pro 8460C3 QTY: 1
    Nice card... It's probably the best supported network card under Linux EVER.[/quote]Case : SuperCase 4800 w/ 300W PS, w/ 2nd Fan QTY: 1[/quote]That power supply is probably a little underpowered. I would do 400W minimum these days, AND I would make sure that it's a GOOD power supply with a solid brand name before buying it. Inconsistent voltage outputs from power supplies is one of the most common causes of system stability...
    Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition w/Microsoft Original CD Package QTY: 1
    Software : None
    Keyboard : 104Key Win98 PS/2 Keyboard QTY: 1
    Mouse : MS IntellIipoint Opitcal Mouse QTY: 1
    Speakers : Altec Lansing AVS300W 3 pieces QTY: 1
    If you really like your audio capabilities, I would recommend a 5-piece speaker system, minimum. NOT having surround sound is NOT an option for any serious gamer... The Klipsch 5.1 setup is REALLY nice if you have $400 to burn on speakers... Failing that, Altec Lansing makes a decent setup that I've used when building other people's computers, the 641.
    Monitor : None
    Removable Device : None
    Additional Adapter : None
    Warranty : Fully Assembled w/ 1-Year Part & Labor Warranty QTY: 1

Is this a decent system for the price?
    Sure... It's not bad. You could probably spend a few hundred bucks more and have a system that will last you a minimum of 6 months longer than the system here, but that's up to you, I'd say...
    I tried to go for the high end hardware, but I'm not really up on which sound cards are better then others, or what LAN adapter is best. I'm under the impression that high end NICs and sound cards will reduce processor load? I'm also not up on motherboards and chipsets, but I believe ASUS is a better brand?
    Asus is a reliable brand... I used them exclusively until I discovered the wonders of on-board RAID provided by ABIT... Asus has that now, too...
    One last question. For the FSB speed (266 above), the processor, Mobo, and memory all should operate at the same speed? I saw there was 333 Mobo's and memory available, but it doesn't looke like any of the Athlons come in 333.
    See above comments...
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

Hale, that's a pretty good price. One more thing to consider is the company. Check out http://resellerratings.com to see what other people think of PCUSA.
    --Glanzer

Thanks for the link. Sounds like their customer support really sucks.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    I wanted to throw my hat in the ring here and just ask if you have priced the part out one by one and consider building the computer yourself. This way you have complete control on what goes into you machine. You can go with high end stuff, or basic stuff based on what your looking for. Here are a few site's that I go to where price's and service are good.

http://www.enpc.com/cgi-bin/enpc/index.html
    http://www.nexthardwareshop.com/pricewatch1.html
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/index.asp
    http://www.directron.com/

I hope this might help a bit.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! With any luck, I can swing a new computer next year, but I like to see whats out there every so often.