Thread: Medieval: Total War

August Knights

Medieval: Total War

I don't know how many of you guys are into strategy games, but if that's your inclination, pick this one up. It's the sequel to Shogun: Total War. This one is much bigger than Shogun, and much better.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas

I was checking it out a few days ago. I was thinking about picking that or Starfleet Command III up. Despite the fact that I own SCF II:OP and its crap.

Not that I'm bitter about it.

At least I didn't let you talk me into buying that game too.

El Sancho Panza
    have you guys played Warcraft, Starcraft, Red Alert 2??? how does this game compare to this games.

I play WC III on the internet i get my ass kicked ALWAYS, 5 mins in to the battle i have like 5 dudes defending my camp, and they attack with like 89 of them. i really really cant win...

I know the feeling. Try playing Hale in Age of Empires.

Whoever gets there the firstest with the mostest wins!

Age of Mythology for me! Going to pick it up today if I have time.

August Knights

Medieval: Total War is very different from AOE and the other RTS games. It's really two games put together: a strategy game and a tactical game.

The strategy game looks like a board game, much like Risk. As in a board game, there's no time pressure at all. You move armies from province to provice. You build buildings that do various things. The sea is also divided into regions, and you can build ships and control the sea to move troops and establish lucrative trade routes. There are also non-army strategy units, like assassins, spies, princesses (for politically useful marriages), and religious figures that try to convert the peasantry.

The strategy game is the slowest part of the game, especially if you have a big empire to rule. The good news is that you can turn some of the bureaucratic drudgery over to the computer.

The more exciting half is the tactical game, which is real time but pauseable. Picture a 3D rolling landscape, with trees and a farmhouse or two. The weather ranges from perfect calm to thunderstorm to sandstorm (in the desert). On this terrain you have an army of up to 960 men, and you can see each and every man in the army. There's a little figure for every man, and the combat consists of calculations in which each little man fights on an individual basis. It looks just like hundreds of men in medieval armor trying to kill each other.

You manage the men in groups of 60-100. The interface is simple: select a unit, and then either drag out a rectangle for it to assume a new position, or click on an enemy group to attack. The tactics are very historical. They depend on terrain, weather, position, and troop types. Spearmen to well against cavalry. Archers do poorly in rain. Morale is key, as usually one side will rout when they've lost about half their strength. Troops get tired and lose effectiveness, especially in bad weather or while fighting. Defenders can retreat into castles, and attackers can tear down castle walls with ballistas, catapults and trebuchets.

In short, it's a really big and complicated game, and that's without going into the history that it's wrapped in. If you're into big complicated strategy games, they don't get much better than this. But if you don't like to sit and ponder battle plans, then maybe it's not for you.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    This game does offer quite a bit for anyone looking for the strategy fix. However you do need to do alot of planning and even break out the scratch pad if you really want to conquer all. The only downside is that your need at the very least 1hr to play this game. So for anyone with kids such as myself I find myself picking WCIII over this one for the quick simple hack and slash gaming. However now with the amount of cheaters in WCIII it's near impossible to find a legit server. Oh well, there's always KessenII for the PS2 which I give very high marks!!!
    In short Medieval is worth every penny!

El Sancho Panza
    im interested in medieval, it sounds interesting, i have played ceasar II ( i think) and lands of the lore wich i guess are very basic compared to medieval, but i will take a look at it next paycheck.

in the mean time if anybody want to play wcIII any given day drop me a line. school is almost out and i starting to get my life back in the afternoons.