Thread: My new mouse ROCKS!

Arrow My new mouse ROCKS!

Picked up a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer last Satuday, and, I must say, it is QUITE impressive. The tracking is smooth and the extra buttons are actually quite handy. I had heard several comments that the sampling rate wasn't good enough in games, but I have noticed a significant increase in my killrate in Counter Strike. Personally, I won't miss the bimonthly cleaning of the mouse. I recommend this puppy to anyone that has the $50-$70 to plop down on it; it's more than worth it to me!

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Arrow

I'll heartily second that endorsement. I got mine way back in January, and it kicks much butt! I must say, though, I don't use the two thumb buttons outside of my web browser....I'll have to give that a try sometime, see if it improves my Counterstrike/Tribes game.

------------------
    [AK]The Beast
    "Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'." -Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I've been using that mouse since it was released, but in the last couple months, it has been acting funny. Every time I move the mouse in such a way that it tugs a little on the cord, it goes dead for a couple minutes. This happens frequently. Thus, I just went out and bought the Logitech equivalent, the MouseMan Optical, and I must say, I like it more than the Intellimouse Explorer. It has a much more ergonomical design, and I like the action on the buttons a lot more. It does have one less button, but I never used the extra buttons on the Explorer, anyway. For those of you who have yet to buy an optical mouse, I definately recommend Logitech's effort. Keep in mind, Logitech's mouse costs $20 less retail.

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    August Knights Administrator
    Xearic Darkmarrow: 50 Dark Elven Necromancer
    Burwell Spiritforge: 40 Dwarven Cleric

RedDot

This is a bit off the topic, but is anyone using the Microsoft mouse with a tracking light, instead of a track ball? The name of it escapes me now, but I've used them a couple of times, and they seem EXTREMELY responsive. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not this type of mouse would crap out after a few months, or if the optics for the tracking system were overly sensitive, etc.

Arrow

Des,

The Intellimouse Explorer is the one that we are talking about...and it just so happens to be the one YOU are talking about too!

So far, so good on mine. I love it! I think the one that I bought might be a new revision of the optical mouse since it advertises itself as sampling 1500 times per second and has a little sticker on the box that reads, "Improved optical technology! Now 33% faster." Is this different from the specs of the one that you got, Palooka?

Anyway, I still have no complaints...best thing is that I don't have to go out and buy some new-fangled mouse pad to improve the performance of my balled mouse!

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

USB or PS/2 only...unless you get a PS/2 to serial conversion doohickie...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer

ColorLightbulb

Cool!

I've been thinking about getting one of these. One other question - Is this mouse USB-port only, or will it run off the serial mouse jack?

Thanks for the input!