Thread: CPU cooling ... tips? Hints? Advice?

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

RedDot CPU cooling ... tips? Hints? Advice?

Hi folks,

Through somewhat shadowy means I recently acquired my latest upgrade - a 667 mhz PIII with an Intel 820 motherboard and 256 mb of RAMBUS memory.

My project for this evening will be the deconstruction of my PII 400 and the installation of all this new hardware.

I am concerned about heat.

The case in which this processor and MB were first installed had an air duct system blowing air from the case fan directly onto the CPU, which has no fan on its heat sink.

My buddy who gave me this stuff kept that case - so I have a PIII 667 with no fan on the sink, and no duct system. To top off the situation, it is overclocked to 733mhz , so I REALLY need to keep it cool. The existing heatsink appears to be immovable, so installing one with a CPU fan is out.

Right now, I am considering cutting a hole in the side of my tower case and installing a second case fan directly above the processor - kind of a brute-force approach. The heatsink on the processor appears to be very efficient - it is cold to the touch when inactive.

I have a "Cyclone" slot fan installed, which goes in one of my empty card slots - but there is no clear air flow from it to the processor because the AGP slot (occupied by my video card) lies between them.

Any advice? C'mon, hardware gurus.

Thanks,
    John

------------------
    "An armed society is a polite society" - R.A. Heinlein

Thumbs up

First off, is it a Socket or a Slot CPU? If slot, my solution was to go to Radio Shack and buy an impellar fan (looks like a little pump, intake thru the center, outlet through a little vent on the side of the fan blades). Very good fan. By attaching the thing to the heat sink and pointing the outlet at the 440BX chip, it serves to cool both components. Your case mod seems like a good idea as well. Lastly, there's a ton of good stuff for all kinds of cooling at http://www.3dcool.com . The Tornado Case is super nice (just ask NR).

Also, if you're not using your old stuff any more, the AK Tribes2 Server Fund is taking hardware contributions.

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

ColorLightbulb

3dcool...nice foot warmer!!!

I have six fans (4 came with case), one pci slot and a monster heatsink/fan for processer. Mounting holes on MB plate take all the Mbs.

This case is not cheap but well last me a long, long time.

Sure is nice having Zorro, Wrath, Beast, Goob and others to lean on.

Thanks,

[AK]NeverRetreat

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Stop

Edited. Accidental posting.

[This message has been edited by [AK]Abaddon (edited 12-13-2000).]

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Stop

Hey folks,

I got everything lined out and working with this machine. It's moving along pretty good with my TNT2, but cries out for a GeForce II DDR :-)

I have three fans installed in my case (Thanks, Zorro and NR).

I'm ignorant about the different types of sockets - this processor looks like my old Pentium II,with one side of its plastic housing removed and a heat sink slapped on it.

According to CPUID, it is a Coppermine chip, 18 micron construction, 733mhz stepping one, with 133mhz frontside bus (I think that's correct). All in all, it is a substantial improvement above my old PII 400.

Zorro, I wish I could donate my stuff ... but it was already promised to a friend who's poorer than I am (And that's a feat) who is still making do with an old AMD K6-2 300. I'm sorry about that.

The motherboard was a test board anyway, and the bios in it could not be updated. It was never a production board.

[AK]Abaddon

Sorry about the duplicate posts....

------------------
    "An armed society is a polite society" - R.A. Heinlein