Thread: Uncle!!!

Heart Uncle!!!

My third Asus motherboard cried out to be installed this week. I relented, after installing I hooked up monitor and power supply. It fired up fine, monitor showed dectecting with the spinning symbol. It stopped moving and just sat there. So I turned the power off, waiting a few seconds and turned the power on again. This time the computer come up fine but the monitor's led quickly changed from green to amber and nothing was being displayed. After a few more attempts I unpluged the monitor from back of computer and monitor responded with No Signal. I put it back on and the message went away but no green led nor any info on screen.

So I torn down my other computer, grabbed my dfx card installed it, fired up computer and the same thing happened...Green led turned amber and nothing displayed. I changed slots with the dfx card...no good
    Then I reinstalled the G-Force card again and fired up computer, nothing again except that darn amber led.

Now, I'm thinking I have a problem here that we haven't uncovered from earlier issues. I'm looking to place a post "wanted" experienced computer builder who will work for food and beer...Transportation provided

Help guys! I need to get this thing built!

[AK]NeverRetreat

Will work for computer components.

Unplug your disk drives (HD and FDD) and try that...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Talking

Okay Zorro, Unplugged all drives, still no signal to monitor. No bells or whistles either.

Next?

[AK]NeverRetreat

Well, that's new...and somewhat disconcerting... I don't suppose you have another video card lying around, do you?

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

This problem sounds very familiar to me ... but I can't remember which of my systems had those symptoms. I just recall fighting with it for a few days.

What kind of memory does your computer have?

Have you double-checked all your cables to make sure they are all firmly inserted (power, drives, etc...)?

I think my problem was related to my hard drive cables, as Zorro suggested in his first post. Some motherboards require that you use their specific cables. But that does not appear to be your problem.

Anyway, I'm rambling... back to work.

[AK]Abaddon

------------------
    "An armed society is a polite society" - R.A. Heinlein

August Knights

I am banking on a bad processor....

3rd MB.....Vid for only first boot then none...Still gets power on led, but nothing else....no post beeps

I have had this happen on an old Digital PC. I replaced everything twice, didn't work till I accidently mixed the processor with a different one....Because the other system started to do the same thing the original did

ColorLightbulb

Check my first post...I have a dfx which I tried once before.

NR

ColorUnhappy

Just in case your thought on the processor is correct Goob, I purchased a new 1gig T-bird to install. Hope to try it again in a couple of days.

[AK]NeverRetreat

I would agree that it is the processor if you are not getting any beeps or POST info displayed. I had this happen in a Dell system once and replacing the processor did the trick

TD

Arrow

Being a newbie and embarrassed. What a wonderful combination. Zorro was kind enough to let him call him and walk me thru jumper setting, etc.

We actual got the monitor to show the Bios screen. But the keyboard won't respond. I switched out keyboards...no good. Heh, Zorro had me touch the heatsink and it was cool to the touch. I took the heatsink off and here is were the newbie/embarrassing part starts. I hadn't taken the protective strip of the heatsink. Fine, mission accomplished there. But, one other small detail was overlooked. The rubber buttons on CPU were still attached. I thought they were suppose to be on there to cushion the cpu/heatsink. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, we were never able to bring the monitor back up from that point. Yes, I'm going back to my dark, moist closet.

[AK]NeverRetreat

Heh...It's not so much that you were wrong about the pads on the CPU, NR. The reason you have to take them off is because you're using a heat sink designed for an Intel socket CPU. It still will work great on the Athlon/Duron Socket A chips, but you have to make some subtle modifications. If you want to do it up right, you could try one of the Athlon spacers available at 3DCool... It's like 9 bucks and will work quite nicely. I would recommend that with the T-Bird...especially for when you start overclocking it...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer