Thread: So I just bought Galaxies...

Any hints or tips to get me started? From reading the manual (which I am still not done with), it sure seems like there is a wide variety of things to do, and you have to rely a lot on other people. I was thinking about playing as a scout, and moving on to being a creature handler, but I haven't fully made up my mind. Of the people playing this, what race and profession are you and how do you like it?
    Last edited by Pixelsponge; 08-19-2003 at 10:07 PM.
    pix

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

Shades

I just cancelled my subscription as of last night. I'm still able to play until September 4th, so if you're on Wanderhome server, I can help you out. Here's some tips I picked up along the way...

I played as an Artisan/Scout/Marksman combo [focused in that order]. The artisan class is the realm of the power gamer, and I couldn't keep up. You will find it hard to make money in this class unless you play often, and for long periods of time. I couldn't keep up the relentless pace of crafting and selling items. The power artisans could always under sell me. Business was better for me when there were still many low level players. The travelling salesman gig was fun when everyone was a lowbie and bone armor and CDEFs were in demand. Nowadays, people are practically giving away low level stuff. The artisan is useful if you want to craft things for yourself, but I would suggest just buying from the bazaar, as it's less time consuming.

The Scout class is interesting because you can harvest natural crafting materials from animals. Combine this class with the Artisan skill tree and you'll be able to assemble any item in the game. Scouts aren't great in combat, but they can move fast over hills, and can craft camps. If you're going to be travelling in groups over long distances, you may consider taking some scout skills.

The marksman is a combat class, and is valuable to have because it allows the use of powerful firearms as you progress in the skill tree.

Lastly, NEVER pay a skill trainer NPC. Always ask or do a /yell asking another player for skill training. You'll save a lot of cash this way, as most players don't require a tip for teaching you.

Hope this helps!

The tip about not training under an npc is a real good one, money is a bit hard to come by right now, and the prices they charge are steep. I'm trying my hand at an exploration mission to generate a little cash, so right now my character is out in the middle of no where, and I can't find that damn things I'm supposed to kill. I am right at the waypoint, but nothing anywhere around me excpect a bunch of very big creatures that arean't what I'm after

The game seems heavily dependent on other people, which is a change I guess i'll just have to get used to. Right now I have no way of getting rid of my battle fatigue, no one in the small town I started in is a dancer.
    pix

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    So what server are you on, and what type of character are you? Also, are you enjoying it so far? I had a fun time with it, but I don't think I'd choose the Artisan profession to start with again. I'm not sure, but I may reactivate my account in September and try a new character, especially if no new or interesting PC games are released this fall.

I am playing on the Bria server, the preformance level was in the green for that one, while all the others were yellow (whatever that means). Right now I am working on master scout, and then i'm not sure, I was thinking i'd try my hand at being a ranger, although I hear they aren't all that great in pvp since their traps only work on animals. We'll see. So far I am enjoying the game, its far and away the best looking massive multiplayer game I have seen, and close to the most complex, but I think I am on that back slope of the learning curve now.

One of the small little things I like is when night rolls around, and it starts to get dark, it gets really dark. The level of reality for a game based in a galaxy far far away, it pretty high.
    Last edited by Pixelsponge; 08-22-2003 at 07:01 PM.
    pix

I played the game for about a week.. then cancelled it..

I dunno if they fixed it or not, but if you get missions before you log off sometimes people will go through and destroy the place you were supposed to and you'll get the money for it.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Well if your mission was to destroy a lair, then you just have to wait until one respawns if its not there. Anyone can take them out, but they keep coming back.
    pix

It was that you could camp and if someone destroyed the lair that was your target as you camped you got the money for them destroying it but still had the mission.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.