Thread: What do I need?

ColorThumbsUp What do I need?

Hiya folks,

The name is Ages, looking for a new game, met Hardknock the other day, and Battlefield 1942 may be just what I am looking for. Just need to know what I need in the form of the game, add on levles, mods, patches etc... to become competitive. I'm going shopping so I need to know what to pick up. Is there a particular version that I should be looking for? Any recommendations?

Lil background: I've played Descent3 as the founder of the Brothers of The Stone Capture The Flag Team, since 1999. We were very competitive, holding our own with everyone. Our team rules were simple: Fly with integrity or don't fly at all. You either have the skills or you'll work hard to develop them but no whining. Eveyones opinion counts. And most of all have fun and enjoy the game. We had great comraderie and a hell of a good time playing. Unfortunately the game is being hacked to death and there is no new version in sight.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some info on what to pick up and any reccomendations you may have with regard to getting up to speed with Battlefield 1942.

August Knights

Well, the first thing you will want to pick up is Battlefield 1942. You might be able to find the combo pack around with the expansion pack of Road to Rome in it. R2R is usually an extra $20 and the Standard BF1942 is around $40. So at $44, its not a bad idea. We dont play much of R2R maps but we might be starting back in the future depending on ladder play. You definately want to pick up the expansion pack of BF1942:Secret Weapons. That is what the server is set for and what we paly the most. It is by easily worth the $30 for the pack. If I am not mistaken, the current BF1942 patch is 1.5. Another mod you will want to downlaod after you purchase BF1942 is the free Desert Combat mod. I'm not sure what the current version is on that one(.5L ?) maybe. We also have a server up for that too. hope this helps you to get started. Hope to see you later.

Cool, I found the Deluxe Pack at Best Buy with the original game plus Road to Rome. They had plenty of Secret Weapons expansion packs too. If I can swing it I'll pick them up sometime during the week; showed them to my wife so maybe I'll find them in my Christmas stocking.

I found the Game of The Year version on the shelf too. Is there any reason to get the GoTHY version instead of the original release? Looks like they are taking this thing to Vietnam too, will you guys be playing that set too?

August Knights

Yes, we are waiting impatiently for the Vietnam pack to come out.... as long as it is the original Bf1942 its all good...came in a red pack at 1st...the GOTY pack , I think is just the old bax ...they have the bundle pack now which is well worth the extra $5 ....you should be ok with the double pack from Best Buys...comes witht the original and the expansion pack of R2R... all you need then is Secret weapons... Vietnam wont be out until next year sometime...not sure exactly when though... if you have anymore questions...let me know..You are more than welcome to jump on ventrilo to ask anyone that might be on.
    Last edited by [AK]Hardnok; 12-21-2003 at 12:13 AM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

FYI, Battlefield Vietnam is a whole new game, not an expansion. This is good news, since it will have a new graphics engine, better physics, etc. Hopefully they will retain all the elements that make BF1942 so good (don't fix what's not broken, I always say).

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Conquest game play is what keeps BF1942 fun and long playing.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

August Knights

I guess thats awesome news then...woohoo...when is it coming out?

Shades

Cats out of the bag, its under the tree! See ya'll after Christmas!!