Thread: Helicopter Flying

Helicopter Flying

Does anyone have any tips for flying helicopters in DC. I have a freedom 2.4 joystick and need some help. I can get off the ground alright, but after that its a lot of spinning, flipping, and death.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Just go easy with your movements. Forward on the joystick tilts you forward, backward tilts you back. Side to side tilts you side to side. Each movement results in you moving in that direction. Use your A and D keys to assist in turning. After you get moving in the direction you want to go, compensate in the opposite direction to straighten yourself.

Practice, practice, practice.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Now I'm El-Cheapo and refuse to buy anything additional to play games with, so I'm using mouse/keyboard and the one thing that I've learned is that every action requires an opposite action to retard it. So if you start a left turn, you must begin power to the right to stop the left turn. It's not like walking, were you just release the arrow... you have to apply compensating power against the direction you are turning. Also, nose down is forward momentum, nose level is life and nose back drops your tail rotor and pulls you backward. Maybe not the most revolutionary tips but they help me.

-buts

Thanks, my flying has been getting a little better. I would practice more but I would rather be playing at the server.

i practiced alot with Hardnok,Ages, and Sonic this last week and found that you really have to"feather" the throttle. you can't just punch it and go. try practicing in the hind or a mobile spawn (sea king or the russian thing). they're very forgiving and you can get the basics down before ya take out a hot rod like the appache. good luck, and keep the bottom down and the top up!! lol
    "]

[-buts [/B]
    LOL!! funny if ya can't laugh at your buddies, who can ya laugh at?
    "]

August Knights

look in my reply in the dc tips

Question

Is there anyway to configure a "deadzone" for your throttle? If so, then my chopper would not rotate its blades until I moved the throttle one direction or the other. Presently, I hop in and the blades rotate immediately, sending me to instant death.

if you have a flight stick you should be able to set your throtle at 0 , I've learned my leason and whenever i hop in a chopper i check my throtle another safety thing to do is just set it full back that way when you hop in the bladses will start but you won't go anywhere.