Thread: Hooking up two computers for dummy. :)

Hooking up two computers for dummy. :)

Okay, here goes a really stupid question.....

I am pretty stupid on most computer stuff, so I have a issue to ask you guys since from what I have read you know more then me. I recently moved from a house with 3 comps connected by a router. It was already there so I just plugged in and everything worked fine. I now am living with my girlfriend and we each have computers. Our internet and cable TV are all supplied by my phone company. From what I can tell, their modem feeds into a ?switch?, and that feeds both of our computers and the TV top box. Is this good?? Should I get a router? I have absolutely no idea what these things really do, other then allow computers to use the same internet connection, but it seems that this switch does the same thing. Speed is also an issue, as we both play online games and wish for the least amount of lag possible, if we are both playing at the same time. Hopefully someone can help me.

Zo

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    You should have a router.
    The reason for having a router is to provide NAT internal networking on the inside so you can hook up as many computers as you want too. And your Internet connection is only supplying one IP address to you. Plus having a router helps protect you from port scanning and things of that nature. So it provides more protection then just a switch/hub.

Thumbs up for a router.

netgear is very good and cheap

That's the low tech answer, and no it wasn't a dumb question.

KK, thnks a lot.

Zo

One more dum....er.......challenging question? Now with a router I would just plug it into the modem and feed everything from it. How do I do this with the switch thing? Do I still need it? Or just replace the whole switch thing with my router? I am sorry, I really know didly squat about this stuff. I just play. LOL

Zo

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    in a ideal setting I would do the following
    a router with 4 network port connections is perfect for up to four computers (Cpt. obvious statement), if you need to hook more up, then plug the switch into one of those 4 ports with a X-over cable, then plug your additional computers into that switch. If you have a uplink port on the switch then a x-over cable will not be needed.
    otherwise take the switch right out of the equation all together for now.
    ALSO, change the password on the router the moment you configure it!!!!! And turn off remote management!!!!!

Thnks a lot Stitch. I may have more questions, like the configuring, but that will wait until I get one. Been a great help.

Zo