(From Shacknews)
First impression: Very good! Theres a lot of variety, and many levels also appear to focus a lot more of ground combat then what were used to in BF1942. In fact, a few levels are almost exclusively for infantry.

Since the weapons arsenal has been beefed up quite a bit in BFNAM, maps that focus less on vehicles and air units and more on ground combat are a lot more interesting in now then they were in BF1942.

I wont bother going into more detail about the levels, but most of them look nice and interesting, play well and feel pretty balanced all-over.

Gameplay
The moment of truth folks yay or nay?

YAY!

Pretty much everything feels good. The gameplay appears well balanced and solid. With the introduction of helicopters, heat seeking missiles and napalm, I was afraid we might have another DC on our hands thankfully this is not the case. Even the new, more powerful vehicles and air units are dealt with fairly easily by ground troops.

There is a lot more focus on ground troops in BFNAM compared to BF1942 at least it felt like that on most of the maps I played. The new helicopters play a big role for transportation now, not only for infantry units, but also for vehicles (with the rope/wire thingy)

A good pilot with 5-6 men in the chopper and a fully loaded tank hooked on is in most cases all it takes to capture ANY flagpoint in a very short period of time. (With the new flag capturing system, each flag takes 30 seconds to cap normally. With two guys trying to take over the same flag, that time is reduced to 15 seconds.. More guys = less capture time).

PS: I <3 the choppers

The foliage is also a pretty drastic change from BF1942. It makes it easier for infantry to hide and ambush incoming vehicles, and it also provides good (visual) cover when youre trying to sneak away from an incoming tank or a group of enemy soldiers.

Since I still havent experimented with low and high detail settings, I cant say for sure if the foliage is as thick on all detail levels if its not, DICE has made a huge design error here, as those of us who want our games to look pretty will have a big disadvantage. This would make a lot of us sad pandas, and as we all know, sad pandas arent happy pandas. Ergo, it would suck.

Yes, the radio feature kicks ass. I mean REALLY kicks ass. You know those long jeep rides (or even worse, boat rides) that are boring as hell? Yeah, those are fun now. Im serious.

Last night I was playing with my roomie, and we were going back and forth in a boat between two capture points (since our idiot team mates decided they wanted to have fun in the chopper instead of keeping the flags captured). In BF1942, that wouldve been major PITA, but instead we found ourselves singing along to the radio tunes while going up and down the river. The occasional lone enemy soldier we gunned down along the way made it an awesome experience altogether.

While its a dead giveaway if youre trying to be sneaky, its still hard not to turn it on thats how cool it is. The song collection is fantastic and it fits right in with the theme (as one would expect).

(Yes, when the radio is on, nearby players can hear what you hear!)

This concludes my..
..initial impressions of BFNAM. In short, I like it. A lot. Its nothing revolutionary, but its a good next step for the Battlefield engine, and the Vietnam setting is a nice chance of pace from WW2.

Coolest stuff: Helicopters, radio stations, player weapon kits.
Lamest stuff: None of the BF1942 1.6 GUI features, still no voice-com*.