Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry?

Far Cry?

I downloaded the demo and ran through it today during lunch. Although I was killed quite often and quickly I eventually figured out some of the mechanics and learned that the AI's in Far Cry are alot more competent than those idiots in BF. I'm really enjoying this game to the point of purchasing it tonight. I understand that there's a multiplayer option... anyone familiar? Any one have it? Do we have a Far Cry server?

Thanks,
    salty nuts

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Far Cry kicks ass. I'm almost done with the singleplayer campaign, and it's been the best experience since Call of Duty (if not the best since Half-Life). I haven't experimented much with multiplayer yet; this game's emphasis is on singleplayer.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Far Cry has been a great game. I am still working on the single player part. The whole story and game have been a real treat. The AI in the game is very well done. You really have to make sure you take out the guys one by one in a way where it doesn't alarm others. Plus you want to make sure they don't yell out for help. Or your really in a world of hurt. You can carry any 4 weapons, and if you want to swap or upgrade, you have to toss one in order to do so. This is really cool for certain parts of the game, where either bigger or smaller weapons will do the trick.
    Multiplayer is fun and very well done. But it's more so aimed towards the Deathmatch world. So don't expect too much strategy from it. I don't think we have a server up for this. I have just been pubbing when I've played multiplayer. I give this game two big thumbs up. It's worth the 40$

The game is very well done, only problem is my older video card has a problem with it.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

It is a must buy.. The graphics are best I have seen.. Singleplayer is so dam adicting its crazy. Im just obout finished with it. Multiplayer is ok but no real staying power there...

Bribo also has the game, but he hasn't installed it yet. Rocks and Squidly have it also. I think that makes a good number of guys to do our own little multiplayer thing with it. Now all we need is a server (palooka, hint hint)

Nuts, I think you need to go shopping on your way home.

Originally posted by [AK]Palooka
    (if not the best since Half-Life)
    I fully agree with Palooka as far as a single player FPS game goes, this is one of the best. It ranks right up there with HL, COD, Rouge Spear, and Quake 2.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

A Far Cry Linux dedicated server is not available at the moment. They say that they're working on it. Ubi has been saying the same thing about the Raven Shield Linux server since the day it was released. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    About 10 of us were playing a pretty solid game on the little server that Stitch set up. We should pick a night and give it a go. It's definitely fun. Running around with knives and shotguns is hilarious.

So it was a three store search to find it... wow, 5 discs! Installing it now. Thanks for the reviews guys. Helped convince me to buy.

Let us know what you think!!!

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

I'm in for MP, since I back from a long vacation!! :{

Well, I got about an hour of play in last night... damn that lamaze class! The game really is beautiful. The foilage is superior to that of BF:V and the little extras really polish off the game: colourful birds flying around, the fish in the water, etc...

It's tough to see who's shooting you in the jungle and that can get a bit frustrating; spinning around looking for a target, taking hits. Plus it's easy to get lost in the jungle. I grabbed the first vehicle and after taking out two baddies with it's onboard gun I jumped out to go collect the ammo. I found their boddies, turned around and couldn't find the jeep. I guess this is actually a good thing; it makes the game a bit more 'real' and not too 'tomb raider-ish'.

I like not being able to save every 15 steps. It allows me to take a break because sometimes you'll go through a tough spot then die and you don't feel like repeating that whole segment again. If I was allowed to auto-save I would be doing it every 5 steps thus making it easy to correct my errors and tough to put the game down.

This is definetly a well executed game and I've found nothing to complain about. The graphics are awesome and run great on my 256mb ATI 9600. (Unlike BF:V which needs a patch or two). The sound effects, voices and background music are well done and timely. Overall it's a great game. They don't let you carry 50 weapons or go John Rambo so it may not be for everyone. I strongly recommend this game.

nuts

Who is up for Far Cry Multiplayer tonight? If we get enough responses I'll get a server up and running for us.

Sure!
    I'm seeing Hellboy at 4pm, will be home afterwards.
    Last edited by [AK?]Nuts; 04-22-2004 at 01:05 PM.