Thread: Guild Wars E3 for Everyone

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

From the 12th through the 14th of this month, you can play a pre-beta version of Guild Wars, a great-looking new MMORPG produced by Blizzard alumni, with people who are demoing the game at E3. The client is only a 63 KB download (during installation and play, you only download data when you first need it), and you can get it from my server here. Check out http://www.guildwars.com for more information.

By the way, Guild Wars will have no monthly fee. They expect to pay for the hosting with revenue generated by bi-annual expansions.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Wow. Free, eh? Sounds and looks to good to be true.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

They know that in order to compete with all the big players in the saturated MMORPG market, they need to offer a great game at an uncommon value. Hence, no subscription fee. Let's just hope they can afford to keep the servers up.

After i did the registration bit., I left GW running... You can see that it's downloading (upper right hand corner). I'm not sure how much it's going to take but I recommend grabbing this stuff now rather when we go live on the 12.

Palooka... how big was your download? I'm over 50mb now.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I don't remember how much it downloaded, but it went fast.

By the way, the game is LIVE! Create your character and get in there.

I'm pretty impressed so far. The graphics are stunning with no choppiness at 1280x1024, the animation is fluid, and the gameplay is as smooth as silk. This is definately not a hardcore RPG, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun.

When you first start out, you will be by yourself in an instanced zone. Click on the map button in the lower right, then click on another location and travel there. You will then see other players and be able to go on missions with them.

I'm in, look for Fallkin Kuvari or Fallsin Squirrelsin
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar

FrontEyeBall

Installing now.

Ok Palooka, I got it now. I saw the dates and didn't think I could play until then. Definetly no choppiness. Runs smooth on my PC... although I did die about 10 minutes into the game. Arg.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Squirrelsin?

Couldn't fit Squirrelstrike.. my D&D Monk's Name.

Yay decapitating someone with an apple at level 2..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

This game is seriously good, and it's more stable and playable in alpha than most MMORPGs I've played soon after their release. For those who haven't tried it, you're missing out. You only have one more day!

Today is the last day unless they extend the deadline. The more I play this, the more I like it.

Two problems:
    1. Many people have not heard of it.
    2. Many EQ people would be resistant to even try it.

It's not intended to be an EQ killer. It's not intended to compete with EQ.

Lots of EQ people are resistant to anything different (like me). Many are saying that they will not even try EQ2. On the other side there are people that just automatically hate EQ for no logical reason. Maybe they got their feelings hurt or someone stepped on their toes.

Guild Wars is more action oriented with the only grind being actual leveling. You don't learn skills; you gain skills yet it's not free. You have to kill mob bosses for gems that you give to your class master to use that skill point and apply it to a new skill. The gems are random and may not be for your main or secondary class. Unlike Neverwinter Nights, you can move your skill points. There is a crafter but you don't learn a trade skill. You collect the raw materials to give the crafter for the item you want.

Even though it's action oriented, it's organized. PVP is not randomly running around killing newbs like EQ. You have to go to the the right area and form a group. You can go PVP or do timed quests. Mob drops are randomly assigned to people in the group. Ninja looting can't happen. If you choose to go out the gates and solo, it's your zone like a single player game. No one else is there. Mobs don't respawn until you enter the city and go back out.

The graphics are outstanding yet do not tax a fast computer like EQ. With broadband and a good computer, there is no lag or low frame rates. Even in the city with a lot of people, everything is smooth. I don't know how they handle servers, but it's all load balanced. When you enter a city, you will see a district number in the top left. It's random from 1 to 26. Districts are not different parts of the city but more like 26 indentical cities. Yesterday they implemented the ability to change the district number so people could agree to meet. It's like having the ability to hop to different servers.

Like I said, today may be the last day until the beta and if you don't get some friends together and hop in, you're missing out on a very fun thing. It's hard not to like it.
    Last edited by Moon; 05-14-2004 at 03:50 PM.

I honestly also really liked this game, it looks better and runs smoother than EQ... and it doesn't cause my Laptop to crash like EQ does..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I enjoyed it. The slickest patching/install system I have ever seen, and the little missions were cool too.

Plus I liked the Player vs Player Arena and Siege sections. Good idea.