Thread: Guild Wars E3 for Everyone

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Today is the last day unless they extend the deadline. The more I play this, the more I like it.

Two problems:
    1. Many people have not heard of it.
    2. Many EQ people would be resistant to even try it.

It's not intended to be an EQ killer. It's not intended to compete with EQ.

Lots of EQ people are resistant to anything different (like me). Many are saying that they will not even try EQ2. On the other side there are people that just automatically hate EQ for no logical reason. Maybe they got their feelings hurt or someone stepped on their toes.

Guild Wars is more action oriented with the only grind being actual leveling. You don't learn skills; you gain skills yet it's not free. You have to kill mob bosses for gems that you give to your class master to use that skill point and apply it to a new skill. The gems are random and may not be for your main or secondary class. Unlike Neverwinter Nights, you can move your skill points. There is a crafter but you don't learn a trade skill. You collect the raw materials to give the crafter for the item you want.

Even though it's action oriented, it's organized. PVP is not randomly running around killing newbs like EQ. You have to go to the the right area and form a group. You can go PVP or do timed quests. Mob drops are randomly assigned to people in the group. Ninja looting can't happen. If you choose to go out the gates and solo, it's your zone like a single player game. No one else is there. Mobs don't respawn until you enter the city and go back out.

The graphics are outstanding yet do not tax a fast computer like EQ. With broadband and a good computer, there is no lag or low frame rates. Even in the city with a lot of people, everything is smooth. I don't know how they handle servers, but it's all load balanced. When you enter a city, you will see a district number in the top left. It's random from 1 to 26. Districts are not different parts of the city but more like 26 indentical cities. Yesterday they implemented the ability to change the district number so people could agree to meet. It's like having the ability to hop to different servers.

Like I said, today may be the last day until the beta and if you don't get some friends together and hop in, you're missing out on a very fun thing. It's hard not to like it.
    Last edited by Moon; 05-14-2004 at 03:50 PM.