Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why The FCC Should Die

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar

Why The FCC Should Die

A compeling argument.

"Its justification for existence was weak 70 years ago, but advances in technology since then have eliminated whatever arguments remained. Central planning didn't work for the Soviet Union, and it's not working for us. The FCC is now an agency that does more harm than good."
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    It'd be more compelling if he provided the detailed explanation behind each of the FCC's decisions.

Simply providing the decision and assuming a facial expression of horror isn't enough.

Failing to provide those details serves to lead the reader to the writer's desired conclusion, but it doesn't necessarily lead us any closer to the truth.

This is a typical Michael Moore tactic, although here I believe it's a result of lazy writing rather than overarching liberal evil.

I would rather have censorship than listen to all that trash that Stern and his croonies broadcast.

the only censorship should be a finger changing the radio/tv station.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Choozoo
    the only censorship should be a finger changing the radio/tv station.
    I agree.
    [AK]Bribo

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Remember why the latest round of whining started. We were watching a sports event when we had a nipple shoved in our kids faces.

Should our censor fingers known about that?

i could've changed the channel with her nipple
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

I for one didn't think the Janet Jackson thing was a big deal.

I would rather see the American consumer censure or punish a TV station or radio station by boycotting them and their advertisers products than some Orwellian agency declaring what is decent or indecent.

That is a slippery slope I don't think we care to tread.
    [AK]Bribo

mmmm Nipple...

the Nipplegate incident didn't bother me at all... it was just a show of how much MTV has ruined our society.. so when they did that on National TV (not the safety of their cable).. they got called out. Or something like that.. I don't think my brain has quite turned on yet..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

It didn't bother me, but I can understand the exasperation. Even if you want to "protect the younguns" and exercise good parental judgement and control, they slip the nip in anyway.

It's becoming harder and harder to moderate what your kids see.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly
    Remember why the latest round of whining started. We were watching a sports event when we had a nipple shoved in our kids faces.

Should our censor fingers known about that?
    As far as that goes I have been watching a movie with my kids the night before on HBO to turn the TV on in the morning to more than a nipple from 1000 yards being shown. You quickly change the channel or cover their eyes or take whatever you deem to be the appropriate action. This year its a nipple next year football could be too violent and I know you would just love it if they censored NFL games from being shown

I think the point is you should have the freedom of choice not an organization making those decisions for you based on ideals that are outdated to some extent. People don't have to watch tv at all that is their choice, with that choice they have to accept the potential to see something that offends them or someone else to soe degree, personally I hate all the tampon commercials that are on lately.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway
    personally I hate all the tampon commercials that are on lately.
    Well start a boycott and stop buying them!
    [AK]Bribo

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway
    As far as that goes I have been watching a movie with my kids the night before on HBO to turn the TV on in the morning to more than a nipple from 1000 yards being shown. You quickly change the channel or cover their eyes or take whatever you deem to be the appropriate action. This year its a nipple next year football could be too violent and I know you would just love it if they censored NFL games from being shown

I think the point is you should have the freedom of choice not an organization making those decisions for you based on ideals that are outdated to some extent. People don't have to watch tv at all that is their choice, with that choice they have to accept the potential to see something that offends them or someone else to soe degree, personally I hate all the tampon commercials that are on lately.
    Again, I'm all about freedom of choice, but what if they slip a nipple unannounced in an episode of "Dora the Explorer" or something that should be completely innocuous. You've exercised your freedom of choice, but they've gone ahead and overruled you.

THAT is what I'm complaining about. This is more of a philosophical stance than anything, as I'm pro-nipples-out at all times anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly
    but what if they slip a nipple unannounced in an episode of "Dora the Explorer"
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. You would not expect that on a kids show. But in a half-time show where even BEFORE the wardrobe malfunction you had half-naked chicks and shirtless men writhing about exotically youmight expect something like this to happen.

Think about this. Even if there were no FCC levying there fines and no Congressional committees lynching network executives it's my belief that the American public was outraged enough that the NFL and the network would never think of airing a half-time show like that again.

Next year I expect something a bit more wholesome and family friendly.

Maybe Madonna.
    [AK]Bribo

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

There's a difference between girls showing their arms and abs and one showing her nipple. It's reasonable to expect that you won't be subjected to nudity during that broadcast.

The Dora example was purposely extreme, but once you've opened the door you get it all. Watch 5 minutes of European or South American television and you'll see what I mean.