Thread: Playing on our server ...

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Playing on our server ...

I guess I have never acquired tolerance for smacktards. The last few nights of pubbing on other servers have left me irritated ... enough that I have bailed on games a couple of times. I have a very low tolerance for being TKed and/or accused of being a cheater.

I miss playing on our server. I think if more of us play there, we will have more pubbers show up to join, as we did in the past. But as long as it sits empty, no pubbers are going to hop in there.

Why don't we try playing on Palooka's DC server for a while and see if more folks show up?
    [AK]Abaddon

sounds good to me, as long as we have a good turn out. 3 on 3 can drag out a game.
    "]

I'm with you on this one Ab. Coming into a server thats full, that WE have control of is something I definitely miss. I think we should just buck up for a few days and it should start paying off.

I for sure miss playing with you guys. I have been meaning to post asking where everyone plays at.. but hopefully you guys do start playing on Palooka’s server so I can find ya all..

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]FiGHT*CLuB
    I for sure miss playing with you guys. I have been meaning to post asking where everyone plays at.. but hopefully you guys do start playing on Palooka’s server so I can find ya all..
    We need to do some serious Ventrillo debugging with you and fix your problems, FC. Maybe you could start a post in the tech forum with all of your symptoms. I sure we can figure out what's going on.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

and give up sea rigs 24/7?
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

I stopped playing BF:V because everyone disappeared from the server! Well, whichever game you guys pick up next, I'll be right behind ya.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Bribo
    We need to do some serious Ventrillo debugging with you and fix your problems, FC. Maybe you could start a post in the tech forum with all of your symptoms. I sure we can figure out what's going on.

Bribo, Thanks for the offer. Actually my ventrilo works just fine. I just have the newest version installed. I have this version so I can keep in touch with my brother (who I play online with alot) and my mom in Nebraska and also a few other friends. This is the version everyone I know uses now That and I cant install the old version on this computer unfortanitly (rules) so it sucks

Not knowing where everyone is pubing, chatting with everyone, and not being able to play matchs is a major bummer though

I offerd to purchase monthly ventrilo hosting last month to Palooka but he chose to decline the offer..

Its ok.. Ill still be here to cheer you all on..

Hopefully we can get 2.2.0 running sometime soon and I can catch up with you guys..
    Last edited by [AK?]FiGHT*CLuB; 06-24-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

You can't have an illegal version installed? How is using an old version illegal? As long as I don't charge for use of the server, I can keep hosting 2.1.4, and Flagship (the Ventrilo people) can't do a damned thing about it. Flagship has acknowledged that they have no recourse if people continue to use 2.1.4 as long as they adhere to its license agreement, which I am doing. The 2.2.0 upgrade was deemed "mandatory" because the new version is not backward compatible; if you upgrade the server, you have to upgrade the client and vice-versa (see this thread).

Most of the people who are telling everyone in the Ventrilo forums that it's illegal to host the 2.1.4 server or use the 2.1.4 client are hosting licensed 2.2.0 servers, and they want to make money. You will not find any statement on ventrilo.com demanding that people discontinue use of 2.1.4. Until I get a cease and desist letter from Flagship's legal team, I have no plans to switch to an inferior product or pay for someone else to host our server.

I hate to ask, but this isn't a martyr act, is it?

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

The Ventrilo 2.14 client even has a screen where you can turn off the notification of upgrades. It will continue to function as long as the server you connect to is running 2.14. Not a problem. Or do you use Ventrilo 2.2 outside of playing games with AK? If so, I could see the conflict there.
    [AK]Abaddon

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I don't know how anyone can construe it as being illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly
    I don't know how anyone can construe it as being illegal.
    Many do. If you were a hard code programmer than you would probably understand that better. As always thanks for the jab though..

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Palooka
    I hate to ask, but this isn't a martyr act, is it?
    By all means, not in anyway was it meant that way, jesh! I edited my reply above to give a better description.

I apologize if it sounded that way to you!!
    Last edited by [AK?]FiGHT*CLuB; 06-24-2004 at 06:05 PM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I've been a "hard code programmer" since the mid 80's, and have been paid for working on a project for id software (if you want some experience in the "industry"). My work was directly effected by pirates and war3z kiddies.

In total, I've had over 2 decades of experience with licensing issues - both as a developer, and as a consumer and provider of technical support of said software - and I see no problems with using this software under it's original license. There's nothing that mandates an upgrade despite what "many" claim.

And there was no jab intended, subtle or otherwise. I'm just offering my opinion.

Playing on "Our" server

Just wanted to say thanks to the AK Clan for the recent battles on the GB server. It is ALWAYS a great fight w/ Gunny, Kidd & crew ! The GB clan is looking foward to the the tues scrim (although I wont be there due to work - you know us west coast guys!). Also wanted to say we appreciate another Clan that will tolerate noobs but not smacktards.
    See you in the desert.
    ~Tennozan~

Welcome Tenn! We have a lot of fun playing on your server, either teaming up with you guys or going against you. We are also looking forward to the tuesdays scrims. cya on the battlefield.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!