Thread: You're Busted Punk!

You're Busted Punk!

Looks like they are taking punkbuster to a new level, the hardware level that is.

PB to now ban hardware! Posted by Mich
    23:12
    From Evenbalance

The cost of hacking on PunkBuster servers has just gone up significantly because PunkBuster now computes Hardware GUIDs for various pieces of hardware on players' systems while playing on PunkBuster servers.

We use multiple private one-way hashes so that no serial number information for individual computers can be determined by admins or anyone else who may try to obtain this information from a Hardware GUID (and as always, no personal information of any kind is examined, stored or transmitted by PunkBuster). When players raise a violation that corresponds to hacking or interfering with PunkBuster's normal operation, we now (in addition to Global PB GUID bans) are Globally banning the new Hardware GUIDs across all games supported by PunkBuster (including games supported in the future). So punks who are determined to cheat so badly on PB-enabled servers that they try to hack PunkBuster may now need a new computer in addition to a new cdkey in order to return to PunkBuster servers.

As with previous PB GUID Global bans, the new Hardware GUID bans are permanent and will not be lifted. As always, players who are affected by these Global bans will still be able to play on non-PB servers. Honest users should never "test" hacks that claim to interfere with PunkBuster. We have successfully tested this new feature set over the past few weeks for a few supported games and will be rolling it out to all supported games over the next few days and weeks. Additionally, PunkBuster servers will be updated to signify whether kicks for Global bans are for PB GUIDs or the new Hardware GUIDs.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

It'll be interesting to see if this has any significant effect. I'm not entirely convinced that Punkbuster actually does very much.

As an aside, I had an interesting moment last night when I emptied about ten seconds worth of shells and two TOW missiles from a Bradley into the back of a Humvee, from point-blank range with the hit reticle registering, with no visible effect... until they roasted me with their TOW. It was certainly something that makes you go Hmm...
    Hasta,
    Boom

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Sonic Boom
    It'll be interesting to see if this has any significant effect. I'm not entirely convinced that Punkbuster actually does very much.

As an aside, I had an interesting moment last night when I emptied about ten seconds worth of shells and two TOW missiles from a Bradley into the back of a Humvee, from point-blank range with the hit reticle registering, with no visible effect... until they roasted me with their TOW. It was certainly something that makes you go Hmm...
    It will happen on GB, as they have ff off, you can unload on a friendly vehicle and it will take no damage even though you get the hit reticle flashing away. Obviously this was not the case with what happened to you but just mentioning the fact that ff is off on their server for whatever reason.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!