Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WW2 online

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Castleton? That's like 10 minutes from my house. I just got back from the lake where Squidly and I consumed much beer and smoked many cigars.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    It's a very nice and scenic area. The wedding I went to was at River Stone Manor on the Hudson, which was quite nice as well. The drive up and back was a bit of a drag, however.

Fax,

Care to give a review of the game? Perhaps we can drag in one or two more.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

I was planning on posting my thoughts. I'll do that soon.

Cool

After the expiration of my 14 day free trial, I've decided to sign up for a subscription. The gameplay has thoroughly impressed me, and has been improved since the last time I had a free trial, nearly a year ago. The addition of anti-tank rifles, and rifle grenades for infantry stand out. Also, airplanes now show specific damage from anti-aircraft guns. The other night I saw a Junkers split in two by AA and fall to earth in fiery pieces.
    The game is not like any other I have played before, and is a huge departure from normal FPS games. The gameplay is difficult to describe. While set in a first person mode, the action plays almost like a cross between an RTS and a simulation. Simulation aspects become readily apparent when you're driving vehicles, notably tanks. They are complex to master, and are appropriately detailed in the way they drive and handle, all the way down to the gears and hatch controls. Flying seems most complex of all, and I have yet to give it a serious try. Likewise, I haven't set foot on a ship yet either. WW2OL lets you play out many aspects, from the humble foot soldier, to the heaviest artillery. I find it to be challenging and replayable. Every battle lets you try a different aspect of the real time war. The learning curve is steep and intimidating, but the payoff is a big one. Still, the game requires a good deal of patience, and may not be for everyone. Listening, and discerning when to stay still and when to move are key elements. The good news is, patience is often rewarded with battles that can rage on for hours.
    While the learning curve is steep, the community is stupendous at helping noobs. I was offered help at least a dozen times by different people in game when I first began playing. I was very impressed. The folks playing are more than likely hardcore, long time fans of the game, and almost every operation involves vast amounts of strategy and teamwork.
    The game does have its downsides, however. Graphics are out of date. While it's no Doom, it's certainly no Doom 3 either. Vehicles and infantry models are well done, but the terrain is blocky, chunky and 2d. The terrain can't be too detailed though, because there's so much of it. There's so much brush and trees in the game that can be seen for miles, without slowing the game down at all. The graphics take a hit for increased performance and gameplay---and that's fine with me.
    In closing, I'd recommend this game to those of you gamers who love strategy games, and simulations with a wide variety of roles to play. People who are content to wait for a huge payoff in action will find WW2OL gratifying. I would not recommend this game for people who have little patience, or crave a game with constant action, or people who are intimidated by a large learning curve.
    Many thanks to Choozoo for his mentoring, and great recommendation in this often overlooked gaming hit!

Currently there are 2 free offers for 14 days a pop. You can play for 28 days straight all for free!

Free trial 1
    Free trial 2]Free trial 2[/URL]
    See you in the war tonight!
    Last edited by [AK]Faxman; 08-25-2004 at 03:16 PM.