Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands Regrooving the 70s and 80s

Illusive Late Poster Bassiswild's Avatar

Bands Regrooving the 70s and 80s

I wanted to see what all of you thought of all these new comming bands lately rehashing 70s and 80s tunes. I have to admit that I am enjoying hearing some of my favorite songs that I used to listen to back in the day when I was a little head banger . The other day I heard that Korn was doing Word Up after a lot of searching I was able to find it. It has a pretty good groove going on with it not a bad cover. Also Rob Zombie and Lionel Richie hooked up to do Brick House it is a pretty wild rendition of it as well. Not sure if there are any videos for any of those songs. Would love to see it if they did do videos. I know Rob Zombies stuff and I bet it would be pretty wild.

The sound is all about the wood and the pickups. Bartolini all the time...

CD Great Band here!

It was only due to poor management that these guys didn't make it to Superstardom, they "ROCKED!" I literally wore out their Album "Line of Your Fire" on cassette.

Duke Jupiter

The band is from Rochester, NY. A few years ago I found a few of their albums in mint condition on Ebay; never regretted buying them.
    Last edited by Ages; 08-22-2004 at 06:10 AM.
    And yes, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

The Atari's Redid "Boys of Summer" by Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen.. I always get those two confused.. in fact, I never really knew who did the original.. just thought it was one of those two..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

I really enjoy 311's cover for The Cure's "Love Song". I have always disliked the original since it always seems to induce feelings of sadness rather than happiness. 311's version, on the other hand, has a bit more "life" added into it; which in effect makes it a lot more easier to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Slaughter
    The Atari's Redid "Boys of Summer" by Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen.. I always get those two confused.. in fact, I never really knew who did the original.. just thought it was one of those two..

Don Henley, from the Eagles. but you were close
    "]

how about old groups covering old songs? The new Rush CD is very interesting...some awesome bits...some not so awesome bits...all in all I give it a 7 (and I'm a HUGE Rush fan..so the score might be a bit jaded). Try Mr. Soul on if you feel like dling a cool cover.

Best cover album ever: Pat Boone "In a Metal Mood". A must have for any music afficianado.

Richie!! Buddy!!! The Cure's 'Love Song' is SUPPOSED to be sad!! Love is a horrible feeling...if you are a Goth. You need take a look and get a better understanding of the whole Goth scene. I strongly recommend Bahaus, Cure, and Type O Negative for a crash coarse. Try some Joy Division (the precursor to New Order) for dessert.
    Last edited by [AK?]The Purchaser; 08-22-2004 at 08:05 PM.

BTW...opening up a music thread with me is like opening up a discussion on Kerry and the New World Order with Palooka...something I'm bound to just go way overboard on... I am a pop culture (music only) freak.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]The Purchaser
    Richie!! Buddy!!! The Cure's 'Love Song' is SUPPOSED to be sad!! Love is a horrible feeling...if you are a Goth. You need take a look and get a better understanding of the whole Goth scene. I strongly recommend Bahaus, Cure, and Type O Negative for a crash coarse. Try some Joy Division (the precursor to New Order) for dessert.
    It's a horrible feeling when the crap hits the fan. It's even worser when you still love them but can't be with them because they've done bad things to you. That's life, I guess. Right?

Thanks for the recommedations, Punisher. I really enjoy listening to New Order so I look forward to hearing some of Joy Division's songs.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Ozzy and D. Zappa remade "Stayin Alive" a while back and it was an awesome remake. I still giggle when I hear it today.

Of course Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal is cool also.

I am a big Rush fan and I have yet to check out Rushs new CD. It is a growing trend of bands doing covers and releasing them as hit singles. If I remember correctly Alien Ant Farm received a lot of attention for covering a Michael Jackson song. I have a version of Ozzy covering a BeeGees song called Stayin Alive. Pretty funny to hear Ozzy covering disco song. The song was slated to be on Ozzy's Down to Earth CD. But Ozzy decided not to put the song on the CD, but through channels on the internet the song has become an underground hit. Good old Ozzy, even he can do covers.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Getty Lee from Rush is the only rockstar who could not get laid! Rush was my first band I ever really listen to and the ONLY good thing to come from Canada besides ladies trampolines. (J/K Purch) Phish has done great covers including Edgar Winters Frankinstein, Rolling Stones Loving Cup, Frank Zappa's Peaches N Regila, and many more! ALL worth listening to. To download live Phish click here

Good old Geddy Lee. He sure is a heck of a musician. Now that I think of it I do not think I have seen any groupies at a Rush concert. Not sure what kind of groupies they could attract at that. Actually that whole band is filled with amazing musicians. I know that a lot of drummers are heavily influenced by Neal Peart. Not to sure about Alex he is an interesting memeber of the band at that. I think the most notable people in the band are Geddy and Neal.

I think I know of another good thing that came from Canada Camel. Terrance and Phillip are from there and they are the heros of those little kids from good old South Park. Also I think that Shania Twain is from Canada and boy is she quite a dish could use more looking like her comming out from there. Not to familiar with Shania's music but what a wonderful sight to look at . I am more familiar with her husband Mutt's work than hers.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]Camelwalk
    Rush was my first band I ever really listen to and the ONLY good thing to come from Canada besides ladies trampolines. (J/K Purch) [/URL]
    Other things that came from Canada:
    Basketball
    Hockey
    Shania Twain
    Neil Young
    April Wine
    90% of the trainers at Top Gun flight school in CA (this from an ex-trainer)
    1/2 of the duo that created South Park
    Insulin
    Standard time
    Telephone
    Wireless communication
    Winnie the Pooh
    Superman
    Zippers
    The Canadarm (in ever single space shuttle)
    Pamela Anderson
    Keanu Reeves
    Jim Carey
    Mike Myers (thus Austin Powers owe's his life to Canada)
    Neve Campbell
    We are currently constructing the robot that will be fixing the Huble Telescope.

You were saying Camel

We Canadians are required, by law, to know all of these things LOL!!!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    FWIW, the Rush covers album is pretty good.

> April Wine

Puh-lease!!!!!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]The Purchaser
    Other things that came from Canada:
    Basketball
    Hockey
    Shania Twain
    Neil Young
    April Wine
    90% of the trainers at Top Gun flight school in CA (this from an ex-trainer)
    1/2 of the duo that created South Park
    Insulin
    Standard time
    Telephone
    Wireless communication
    Winnie the Pooh
    Superman
    Zippers
    The Canadarm (in ever single space shuttle)
    Pamela Anderson
    Keanu Reeves
    Jim Carey
    Mike Myers (thus Austin Powers owe's his life to Canada)
    Neve Campbell
    We are currently constructing the robot that will be fixing the Huble Telescope.

You were saying Camel

We Canadians are required, by law, to know all of these things LOL!!!

Oh yeah and that