Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: anyone download the multiplayer demo?

August Knights

Can anyone confirm Fax's question about grappling to an aircraft? It sounds fascinating. If you grapple to it, does that slow it down? Unbalance it? I'm wondering just how detailed the physics are going to be.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

I know that it is possible to grapple onto a hostile vehicle. A guy grappled onto my fighter and was shooting me with a spinfusor. I have not yet tried to grapple onto a friendly vehicle.
    [AK]Abaddon

I saw this video of 4 or 5 guys grappled to one of those scout jeep things, and it was pulling all of them along, but at some point they were able to stop the jeep (maybe a 6th attached also? couldn't tell). So in other words you can indeed attach yourself to vehicles, many people can to the same vehicle, but I think it takes a lot to effect it significantly.
    pix

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Someone said that the multiplay demo was available for everone to download now - but I can't find it. Anyone know where to get it?

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Clay,

Just go to www.Fileplanet.com and sign up for a free account. The multiplayer beta is a download off the front page of Fileplanet. You will have to enter some information in order to sign up for the beta, and then you can download it.

John
    [AK]Abaddon

Can someone put the multiplayer beta file on the ftp server, I was able to get a cd key but I keep getting network connection errors while trying to download.

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

I am about to leave the house, so I will start an upload to the FTP server. It will take about 3 hours. Should be done by 1 p.m. Central time.

Be careful NOT to download the Tribes 2 GSI file by mistake ... unless you want some retro Tribes 2 action. :-)
    Last edited by [AK]Abaddon; 09-18-2004 at 07:49 AM.
    [AK]Abaddon

Thanks Ab, I am downloading it now.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein

Fax, yes you can. ab grappled to my bomber, stole their flag, regrappled and we took it home.

btw, this was my first tribes experience, and I've got to say, I like it a lot. If we are going to play this competitively, count me in! Very impressed, and it was just ab and I and a pubber or two.

Ab -- thanks for the tutorial!
    Last edited by [AK]Choozoo; 09-20-2004 at 05:24 AM.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

No problem, Chooz. You were doing great with the spinfusor ... that's the toughest thing to learn at the outset. Glad you like it!
    [AK]Abaddon

Welcome to Unreal meets planetside, gotta love a game that puts a flag above your head all the time so everyone knows your position at all times no skill required. It was fun to a certain degree just not my type of game. I will try it a few more times before I totally give up on it but I can't see buying this one at least not at this point.

I am glad to hear that you are willing to give it a chance, because skill is very much required when playing tribes. For instance you have the ability to destroy the other teams equipment, including their radar, which would make it so they couldn't see your locations. To win you need to cap the flag, but in order to successfully do that, there are many things you can do. A well practiced team is going to throw a bunch of different tactics at you to get the job done. Pubbing is one thing, usually its just everyone out for themselves, but competitive play on a ladder is a whole different beast. And it makes sense that it feels like unreal, since the game is using its engine, and the lead guy on planetside, was also the lead on Tribes 2.
    pix

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway
    Welcome to Unreal meets planetside, gotta love a game that puts a flag above your head all the time so everyone knows your position at all times no skill required.
    It's just a different kind of game Gunny. More sporting event than military simulation. There is a lot of skill involved. One - you have to get that flag and Two - you need to get it home.

No easy feat when everyone sees you got and comes gunnign for you.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

The no skill required part pertains to the indicators over your head so even if the enemy otherwise would have no clue that you are approaching, he has an indicator on his screen that gives away your position. Even if you take out their sensor it takes seconds to get it back online.
    Last edited by [AK]Gunny Highway; 09-20-2004 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Gunny Highway
    The no skill required part pertains to the indicators over your head so even if the enemy otherwise would have no clue that you are approaching, he has an indicator on his screen that gives away your position. Even if you take out their sensor it takes seconds to get it back online.
    So do what you're best at, run n' gun
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**