Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgery? What Forgery?

Forgery? What Forgery?

Okay... got this link from a co-worker.

We all read about the forgery thing going on with Boston Globe... we'll here's some more information about the screw up

PowerLine Blog

Document in Question

The nice touch is definetly the lower/small "th" used in the unit number. And personally, I've never once seen a military memo that was drafted on plain white paper. Somewhere there was some sort of form number, or revision number, or even a box outlining the page. Never just a sheet of paper. You know it was a bleeding heart liberal that typed up the forgery, having never served their country, how would they have known how fake their 'authentic' document looked.
    Last edited by [AK]Nuts; 09-09-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Sort of makes you wonder what sorts of things they were able to slip by us before blogs existed to call them on it.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

HERE are all the memos in one PDF.

Military Memos are notoriously written in the third person.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Now only two questions remain: Is it human error or a weaselish attempt by the media to smear Bush?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

How exactly could it be human error, Richie?

The sun has fallen down

I don't know. I guess there's still a part of me that wants to believe that there's still decent people in the media now and days.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Well, the worst mistake would be to assume Dan Rather is one of those "decent people." He's typical leftist pond scum.

I think big media may have been taken in by fraud this time, due to their stumbling eagerness to attack Bush. That does not excuse their bad conduct ... it just amplifies it. Wonder how much they paid for those memos?

They "misunderestimated" the power of the Internet and the intellect of their opponents once more.
    [AK]Abaddon

You know whats funny: That "The Political Machine" game has John Kerry's Media Bias rated at 8, Bush's is at 1.. seems correct to me.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

It also says a lot that the websites of Foxnews and MSNBC now have stories about the possible forgery ... but CNN has nothing except the story headlined "Memos reveal more about Bush's Guard service."
    Clear and obvious bias on the part of CNN.
    [AK]Abaddon

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    I don't know. I guess there's still a part of me that wants to believe that there's still decent people in the media now and days.
    I suppose someone could accidentally write a memo, accidentally use a word processor instead of a 1972 era typewriter, accidentally photocopy it 40 times to make it look really beat up, accidentally forget to use official letterhead, and accidentally sign it with a signature significantly different from that of the person who is supposedly the author, then accidentally slip it to CBS and have them report it as authentic.
    The sun has fallen down

Don't get me wrong, Squidly. I'm in no way advocating the media's apparent lack of ethical conduct in this particular case. In all actuallity, I strongly condemn it. By "human error", I was referring to CBS and their "verification process". Perhaps they put too much confidence into their "sources". Innocent until proven guilty.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    I havent said to much in this fourm or this thread but Richie dont be so nieve! They want anyone but Bush and they will do anything to do it! I know its sad but thats the world we live in!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    This is interesting:

http://www.chronicallybiased.com/index.php?itemid=1486

UPDATE: NEW PROOF OF FORGERY

Following the Little Green Footballs blog lead, CB decided to test the pantograph replication technique on another of the CBS documents to see if it held true. Using Microsoft Word on its factory default settings with 12 point Times New Roman font we copied the address line of CBS memo #1 and overlapped the two for comparison.

CLICK HERE

As you can see the test worked and, in doing so, inadvertantly uncovered more proof that the document is a forgery. The new evidence revolves around the fact that Microsoft Word auto-formats its text using the centering function. When the text alignment for “center” is selected each subsequent line will be precisely centered underneath the previous one with each word of the text readjusting to meet this alignment as new letters are entered into the line. Since typewriters mechanically stamp letters onto a sheet of paper one at a time, it is physically impossible to create a mechanical typewriter document that perfectly aligns two or more centered rows of text on top of each other. The address bar on CBS Memo #1 is perfectly centered and perfectly aligned, thus it had to have come from a computer word processor and not a typewriter. The replication experiment in Microsoft Word with an identical match further validates this origin.

After reading all the evidence I'm convinced that someone forged these.

Now the question is who?
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Dan Rather's response has been pretty week as well.

http://www.drudgereport.com/cbsd2.htm

We shouldn't be focusing on the documents themselves but the story here people! Ignore that man behind the curtain!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.