Thread: Got me some new parts

August Knights

Got me some new parts

I decided that since I was gonna wipe my system clean might as well upgrade it.. I got the following parts today:

Abit AV8 MB 939 socket
    AMD 3500+ with a swiftech MCX6400v heatsink (it is huge) and I can OC that chip pretty good.
    1GB of Corsair xms 2-2-2-5 3200XLPRO mem (matched pair of 512 sticks)
    2 36GB raptor 10000rpm sata drives (gonna raid0 them with 16k blocks)

I am still debating on the Vid card.. I don't know if I should go with the 6800GT or the X800 Pro .. Have read good things about both but the GT is a lil cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions I like the ATI but the GT has all the pipes open and can OC to Ultra speed.

-Goob

GT owns at its pricepoint. Great system choice btw.

My holiday build is similar:

A64 .90nm 3200+ sckt939 (OC extremely well)
    MSI K8N Neo (xtremesystem's getting 300+ FSB)
    Mushkin Lv2 v2 pc3200 special 222 (samsung TCCD chips rated to 550 @ 2.5 easy)

August Knights

The more I read the more I am leaning to the GT. It is just as fast as the ATI and cheaper. Only bad thing is they are getting in real short supply here lately. Everyday NewEgg has less and less.

I got it all put together this weekend and it is freaking fast..... The install went pretty good except I found out I needed a new power supply. I spent 5 hours with this thing not posting at all and beeping at me before I got onto the forums and found out I needed some more juice. Got an Antek True Power 430watt and it fired right up. Gonna do some tweaking and OC'ing in the next couple of days and see what I can squeeze out of it. I will post some screenies of the benches soon. It actually benches faster at default than what HARDOCP got out of that combo

-Goob

Hey that would be cool to see some benchies man!

GT = 1280 x 1024 ultrahigh 2x AA 8xAniso in Tribes vengence for me and i HAVE to have my FPS's if yah know what i mean!

GT owns x800pro hands down. This card amazes me with its pixel crunching power. ATI wins in synthetics at times but when u play real games with AA and aniso tis only then u see the power. 16x aniso is amazing... The major increase in overall image quality over previous gen cards is something i did not expect. Card was to much money but dang it is a monster!

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    I wish I knew what you guys are talking about!