Thread: cooling

cooling

Ok, I am looking to improve the cooling on my 6800 Ultra OC, this thing runs hot! 109F during game play. Its got a pretty hefty heatsink on it using a dual slot configuration but I just don't think the factory unit is up to par. I've done some searching and the only thing that seems to be close to what i'm after is the Arctic cooler 5 NV
    Cruiser do you recomend anything else ?

I've got a tube of artic silver 5, im going to apply tonight and see what the results are.
    ________
    drug testing kit
    Last edited by [AK]JD; 02-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

109 degrees F is not all that hot JD. Mine runs at up to 56 C. I have the Arctic Cooling on it.
    [AK]Abaddon

I sinced moved my scale from F to C and ran 3dmark03 a few times and with the stock heat sink on my card with AS5 it idled at 43 peaked at 53 which is still from what i've read average or alittle better. Since I plan on overclocking the hell out of my cpu and 6800U I want better cooling. I bought a Zalman ZF700-cu. Once installed my idle temp was 37 and 3dmark03 produced a peak 46, so all in all I think the $41 CDN was worth it.

Now before anyone wants to get technical on the temp readings, Im using a thermaltake hardcano 13 fan controller/temp monitor and the probes are on the GPU itself which I think produces are fairly accurate reading +- 4 or so, so since im not working on a swiss watch I think its just fine. I plan on now increasing my clockspeeds and seeing what kind of benchmark numbers I can produce.

to be continued....
    ________
    vapor genie
    Last edited by [AK]JD; 02-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Water cooling is a very viable option these days. Its much more mainstream then u may realize. Sure it may cost a few more bucks but man the silence and performance are well worth it. If your interested lemme know ive been hearing about some nice all in one kits these days for $100-150 or so. These kits are not EXTREME cooling kits persay but they do get the job done and with temps much lower than aircooling anyday. These kits often include GPU and CPU cooling blocks ta boot.