Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF 2 Demo is out..

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

BF 2 Demo is out..

First one to get it should upload to AK server...

I've got six percent left, but I'm not sure if I know how to exactly upload stuff. :\

Can someone please PM me, as I would love to get it up so we can all get some time in.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Can I just say that EA's little agreement with Gamespot sucks? EA also asked Fileplanet NOT to host the file for a while yet, to force as many people as possible to buy Gamespot accounts.
    [AK]Abaddon

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    /happy..........

I've got it, uploading it now, its showing about 3 hours though.

It's pretty damn fun, everything looks fantastic, and the ragdoll physics are a nice touch. I'm definitely going to have to get used to flying again, but I guess thats what the summer is for

I downloaded one and it didn't work... My ATI 9600 is supposed to be covered. Downloading again from dif server. Download speed is 494kbps

http://www.fz.se/filarkiv/download_m...eld_2_Demo.exe

It should be on the FTP as of now.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Well, I finally downloaded it and installed it ... and all it does is flash to a black screen for a second, then drop back to desktop. Wonderful. I'm sure this is a harbinger of the quality QC to come.
    [AK]Abaddon

I've played it a few hours now.. planes are pretty cool, definitly going to need a bit of time getting used to the helo flight physics, but once that happens: *mmm, death from above. Tasty!"

And ground combat is much smoother then BF'42/DC; if not quite as smooth as CS.

Going to go through a system wipe on my primary RAID array, get everything back upto snuff, as this game (when maxed out) makes my system whimper for a few seconds after loading into the game.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

I had to run Drivercleaner Pro to remove whatever piece ofan old Nvidia driver was offending the game. Now it works fine. This really looks awesome!
    [AK]Abaddon

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I got it late last night and played a couple of rounds against bots. Seemed pretty cool. The first time I spawned into the game I got TK'ed by one of my bot teammates about 5 seconds in (he drove over me with a hummer.)

The tutorial voices on how to do things seems cool. Seems very pretty.

Had some trouble navigating some stairs (on the train) that I shouldn't have. First time I climbed them no problem, next time I coudln't get up them to save my life. Weird. Also I had 1 crash to desktop which doesn't bode well for me. I'll play more when I return from my weekend trip.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

2.24GHZ P4, ATI 9600.
    I couldn't even run the install on the version I downloaded the first time. The second download installed well but the game crashed during load. Updated my ATI drivers and everything worked great. Cranked up all video settingsand still very smooth (except when in the belly of the carrier....)

Physics are a bit different in the air. Like KB said... something to master.

Chutes open much faster now.

Sounds are much improved.

I like out the tank turrentstays steady when driving...nice.

How do you turn off the annoying voice?

I like that SMAW now gets a real gun (MP5)

Update:

A good commander is a necessity. I was taking out enemy radar and Arty positions and on one server the commander was airdropping me supplies and flying the UAV over my possition as I cleaned up in the enemy base. Jump to another server with a different commander... and nothing. I end up running out of ammo and dying in minutes.

I hope one of us wants the CDR job.

Cdr

Yeah, I've really enjoyed playing as both the Commander and, when a "higher ranked player has received the position," as a squad leader. Pretty nifty to throw out the UAV so ground forces can see nearby enemy, find which base is heavily defended with the scan, and flush 'em out with Artillery, then watch as the squads converge on the point to quickly take it over.

It's also very nice as a squad leader when you can request the UAV and arty strike locations on the minimap for the CDR, that and the pop up "Attack here!" representations on the map and minimap for your squad mates. Playing as a Squad leader I routinely have gotten first place.

The CDR is definitely a position that requires you to have to take 15-30 second stops at a time, long enough to watch the satellite scan sweep across the map, place UAVs and Arty, which means you want to be sitting in a defensive location or as a support class riding back behind the main attack force.

Now if I could just multitask that and piloting a heli at the same time, heh. Still getting the quirks of the blimey heli physics down..
    Last edited by Katanas Blade; 06-12-2005 at 07:03 AM.

More feedback from Nuts
    (Can you tell I'm happy!)

In order to get the points and in order for your team to win, teamwork is the key. I was playing last night on OTH and although I only had two kills, I scored 4th place. Reason? Medic. I simply followed the highest scoring players around with my medkit active. I healed him when he was injured and revived him when he died (Yep... you get paddles and shock your fallen team mates... cool!) Chuck a couple of grenades and Wallah! You're moving up the score board. Medic is my new favorite.

I could see a team composed of Support (he comes with the SAW and rearms his team mates), Medic, Spec Ops (C4 to booty trap flags/vehicles), and SMAW (comes with SMAW and MP5). As it now pays to help your team mates there is no stigma attached to these load outs.

Hence, as team work is critical the need for squads comes into play as the commander can quickly identify and assist squads, team mates can select the squad leader as a spawn point (great when you're fighting over a gray flag), and you know you'll always have a guy to rearm and heal you nearby.

The commander can simply launch the UAV to fly over the flag your contesting (thus allowing the team to see where the enemies are on their mini-map.) Maybe drop some arty before you charge into the flag area. Drop in an Ammo/Health box. This is going to be great once we're all online and in voice chat.